Wednesday, 20 June 2012
Losing the resolve....
The first post of 2012 in January was all about resolutions. I'd bought some of these little elephants and had a load of blank matchboxes so I combined the two and made a DIY Resolution kit. In the post I put forward the idea that I might make one every week for a year but admitted that I was a great starter and a poor finisher with things that require regular commitment like this.....nevertheless, I started well, made a few boxes with odds and ends that were close to hand on the desk top and started posting them here, week by week.None of them took more than 10 minutes to make. Consequently, they don't bear close scrutiny but it was a fun mental challenge, and I did pick one out weekly and try to hold the thought in the back of my mind as the days passed. I was lucky enough to have a follower who kept encouraging me when I wanted to give up making the boxes, namely Jane, who managed to manoeuvre her way through my 'no followers' and 'no comments' barrier. Thanks Jane. You don't know it but without you I might have given up sooner, however, I have made it to week 26 and this coming Saturday will be my final box. I've run out of small things to use and also run out of enthusiasm for them so I might do something else for the rest of the year. Is anyone out there still successfully following their New Year resolution? If so, tell me how you're doing it please. It might inspire me to keep going for another 26 weeks......or maybe not....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Well done to Jane for keeping you going on your task - it totally passed me by, but sometimes I wear blinkers! I guess to complete the year would be a terrific achievement, I am impressed enough with the 26 you have done so far.
I only resolve not to make resolutions these days - well not at new year anyway, they only lead to a sense of failure! I do have a resolve that is on-going and that is to stop procrastinating and get on and do something!!
I soooooooo recognize this train of thought. After doing my line drawings a few weeks ago I resolved to get back "into" drawing and have fallen by the wayside. Trouble is, I don't want to feel that guilt thing when you feel you have set yourself goals and time/inclination don't allow you to achieve them....... I have also fallen by the wayside in looking at your lovely little boxes and am going straight over to have a peep.
This morning I was determined that after work I was going to also get out my water colours to try and capture the papery gorgeousness that is the flowers on our Cystus shrub before the rains come again, but 'twas not to be. It wasn't the rain that stopped me, but just "stuff". Maybe tomorrow?
I'll miss your little matchboxes but there are enough things in life we MUST do without making those we choose to do into burdens. I am sure you will come up with other inspiring things to show us and look forward to seeing those too. 26/52 is 50% so I'd call that a pass wouldn't you?!"! I don't know how I got under the wire with my comments I'm sure and don't know whether my keeping you at it requires me to apologise or to be glad!!
Lesley I don't understand why I have not been aware of this, what little gems and all so true. Once a week must be a real task, how about continuing once a month and post it on your main site too, then dummies like me will get the heads up!! XXX
I don't make a resolution so am impressed with you keeping yours up for so long! I've taken a look and like the witty one liners.
I've just had a lovely browse through your "weekly resolve"... don't know how I missed keeping up with these, they are super.
Your resolutions inspired me at the time. I'm sorry I didn't keep up with your boxes. I hope that you will carry on with the idea in some form, as you've come so far.
Well I think these are the most delightful things I've seen in a very long while. You may have been fed up every once in a while, but it doesn't show. Brava!
Post a Comment