
I ran the first of a new series of four book making workshops yesterday. Each is a few weeks apart and will take us up to Easter when we'll take a break probably until the autumn term again. Following requests we spent the day on Japanese stab bindings working through both soft and hard cover hinged options. Although I'd prepared samples and notes for all four of the key Japanese bindings it was really important to fix the process of stitching the basic binding into our minds and explore the materials to use. Everybody stitched samples on card at the beginning to understand the rhythm of the thread and then they got stuck into measuring, cutting and making. The picture above is one of Eileen's books, made using her own monoprinted papers. I loved that black and yellow combination and she offered me the book to take home but as much as I wanted it, I just couldn't. It just didn't seem right especially as she is doing what I love the most, using her own materials and playing with design. Here is a selection of everyone's work with the exception of Anne , who left us early. Her husband who is stationed abroad was coming home after a month or so away. Not surprisingly she left us with half an hour to go so that she could see him. It's great to know that romance is alive and well!

Here's is Margaret's patriotic red and green book
Halina
Maggie
Cynthia
Lilian
Peter
Maggie
Sheila
Next up in three weeks time is folded books which will include lotus books and blizzard books followed by a foray into link stitch bindings and finishing in April with a session on tunnel books. That's the one I'm really looking forward to, taking books from 2D to 3D. It will be a challenge but everyone who comes to the sessions are really keen to learn and try things so I can't wait!
6 comments:
How clever they all are and as I have said before I really wish I was near enough to join in too! Love the little tag sized book that Sheila made too! Hope you are enjoying the teaching and am sure you must get a real sense of satisfaction when they all obviously see how to do it and make such lovely books. Well done.
Every time you show the work from your book making classes I wish I could join in. They are all very clever but I especially like Sheila's choice of cover paper.
These are great, I must add I rather like Maggie's with its red binding. Looking forward to the next session.
Good to see the lovely books,it's such a versatile binding when combined with different threads and papers. I got out my book making things today as felt like a rest from lino for a few days, your post came just at the right time. Look forward to seeing the books from your next class.
What a creative bunch and gorgeous results - some of the contrast thread are striking. I too love the little tag book at the end with its rainbow threads. I have modelled but never mastered the blizzard book - wish I could pop over for the class!
They are great Lesley and all very individual. I'm fascinated by all the different binding terms - lotus, blizzard, tunnel but especially stab!
Look forward to the next class. x
Post a Comment