I veer off the main road and down one of the many cobbled side streets
It takes me down the hill , walking parallel to the harbour
I'm heading for the gap between the houses and the small building in the middle
To get to the museum I have to climb a small hill, best tackled if you take a run at it or if you stop and stare at intervals. Guess which is my preferred option?By mid morning this beach is crowded but at 8.30 no-one is around and I see very few people enjoying the best of the start of the day.
Personally this is when I like it best. It's quiet - apart from the seagulls - and I can look over to Caldey Island where I imagine the monks also enjoying a contemplative start to the day.
By the time I get to the door of the museum I am puffing a bit but I always, always stop for a few minutes and take in the view over to South Beach. I love the stillness of it all without lots of people and it helps me prepare for the day ahead. This is a daily ritual that I relish.
I look up at the sign every day I'm here and head on in to get cracking on the job in hand. I have five weeks of my contract left and the list to research seems to get longer rather than diminishing so it's heads down and work all day. I hear visitors coming in and telling the team what a fabulous museum it is - a hidden gem. They're right too and we've been longlisted for the Daily Telegraph Family Fun Museum of the year alongside the likes of the Ashmolean and the Natural History. Wonderful museums all .... resources for us all to cherish.
So, that's my walk to work added to the list. Anyone else want to share?
13 comments:
I wouldn't mind going to work if it entailed a walk like that! It looks so peaceful at that hour of day and all those pretty coloured houses are delightful. Hope the research gets done although I am guessing that the more you discover the more you want to find out?
My walk to work involves walking down the hall to my studio as I don't 'go to work" anymore.
Love the photos, wonderful views to start your day, reminds me of many lovely childhood holidays. These days the other half prefers to travel abroad but I love the holidays we have here when he can be persuaded. Maybe I'll get back to Tenby one of these days.
lovely, indeed. i drive. 22 miles.foothills to river valley through marsh and farm country (many amish).
What a treat Lesley and what an incentive to take a walk. My own 100 yards or so to the paper shop, or even the extended walk round the block would only yield a series of front gardens and I'm not sure whether I'd be too popular snapping those! However these June mornings I am treated to some screaming swifts diving across the road and round the chimneys.
Absolutely gorgeous photos. Makes me just want to go there straight away.
It is such a beautiful place, it is years since we have been. I envy you such a pretty walk to work. xxx
That's a seriously good walk to work, Lesley. I have had a couple of happy visits to Tenby but they were 20 years ago, I've just realised; we did a fair amount of digging in the sand with our 3 year old daughter.
Thanks for reminding me of how lovely Tenby is, and I hope the job is going well.
Steph.
I am so envious of the beautiful area around your work! I will visit one day!
Like others I love your walk to work Lesley - so beautiful and refreshing - your eyes keep going here and there and glancing at the light, the shadows, the buildings, the sea...my walk is either from the dining room to office in the house; or across to the shed so not that interesting. The walk back from the shed does have nice views tho!
What a fabulous walk at that peaceful time of day; lovely photographs,Tenby looks delightful. I didn't know you worked at the Museum.
Years ago I spent a winter working in an office overlooking the North Beach, and would spend my lunch hour doing some of the walk you describe. It was quiet, cold and windy - I remember one day we watched the snow coming in from the sea. I absolutely loved it!
What a wonderful walk to work Lesley - such a beautiful place. When I go out to teach it is always at dfferent places and I have to drive... and when I am working at home I walk from the kitchen to the adjoining room. Not terribly interesting!
Lovely, thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment