Well, the bandages are off and I feel more human this week. The over zealous nurse ripped them off with such gusto that she opened one of the wounds but it has healed quickly and I live to tell the tale. I am walking more miles by the day and taking in the subtle changes that are beginning to happen seasonally. I've noticed our swallows have already decamped to winter grounds but there still seem to be plenty around elsewhere. The garden is still the home to chiffchaffs and spotted flycatchers who have yet to begin their migration and I am noticing the increase in butterflies during the warmth of these past three weeks. Red Admirals are everywhere. I am getting about again and have a few things on the agenda for the next two weeks before my adult education classes begin. First thing I have is a five week altered books course so I am busy making samples, collecting books and writing notes for that.
Having to rest last week has really energised me in some way and I am raring to get on with things. As everything heals, the only downside is the itching as things return to normal. It drives me doolally so the displacement activity stitching continues. Some of the fabric pieces are now full of stitches whilst others are coming on slowly. One is just french knots which take an age but I find the rhythm of winding the thread around the needle and making the stitch incredibly therapeutic. Yesterday I tidied up the shed and realised how much brown paper I had from old packaging and envelopes, all in the same landscape format as my stitching. Two hours later and I'm surrounded by piles of prints on it and on some rice paper too, all offset from the front and back of my stitched pieces. So now I have the stitching to continue to develop and a stack of printed papers for.... for what? As yet I have no idea but I did have fun doing it despite the puffy ankles last night from standing too long! I'm sure it will lead somewhere but for now, it is keeping me occupied and focussed. More to follow I hope.
7 comments:
Glad to hear you are now bandage free and hope that the itching will soon be a thing of the past too. Glad you are enjoying your daily walking - it's amazing what you notice when on foot isn't it? Glad that you are enjoying "messing about" with your crafty things - do we always have to have a purpose for what we make? Sometimes the making is in itself sufficient and may well inspire other ideas along the way anyway.
Really glad you're mending. And these lovely prints! I specially like the maze-like one.
I really like the way you are just letting one thing lead to annother. Looking forward to seeing where these prints and stitching end up
It's so good to learn that your healing is going well.
Having said that, it's also very good to hear about what projects you've got underway. I've always loved the name of your blog site, and this post really does give that name clear meaning.
I completely agree with all you've written about French knots. I remember as a child not quite getting the knack of the technique, and then...the joy of realizing that they were really not so difficult ...actually fun to do.
What you are now creating with re-claimed materials and new, up to the minute stitching is beautiful to see.
As always, best wishes. xo
Good to hear you are on the mend Lesley. I'm loving all those prints.
Great to see the energy buzzing! Did you ink up your stitching and run it through the press? Or rub it somehow? Is your stitching now black? My brain is being boggled, but it's Friday night and I'm tired ; ) Continue to enjoy and heal.
Love those printed papers Lesley, and hope the legs keep on healing. Steph
Post a Comment