Ever since starting this blog I've thrown in the odd post about maps. I've always been a bit obsessed with them and know I'm not alone so it's great to keep finding artists who feel the same and find different ways to express their fascination.
A couple of weeks ago I spent the weekend back home in the West Country and we caught the opening of an exhibition by Jeremy Gardiner at the Victoria Art Gallery in Bath. The spread above comes from an article about it in the latest Artist and Illustrator's magazine but nothing does justice to the work like seeing it in front of you. I first came across Jeremy's work a few years ago in an exhibition in Dorchester with artist Amanda Wallwork, both influenced by the Dorset coastline and the archaeology of the area. Last year a monograph of his work was published and I trawl through it regularly for a fix. The paintings are wonderful but I am drawn to his monoprints more than anything. The exhibition has about 20 or so of them adorning the walls, framed in a long landscape format and layered with details of map contours, fossil finds and geological faults. Out of my price range, but I can dream. They were an inspiration to see and really made me think about scale. A fabulous exhibition to visit and on a sunny day in Bath, it was perfect.
Only a week or two earlier I came across the work of Barbara Macfarlane. She is also working with maps. Check her work out on her page at the Rebecca Hossack Gallery or visit her website. It's worth looking at a video she's posted there which shows her working practice and talks about the map paintings and their creation on massive sheets of Khadi paper. I've checked it out and think she must must be working on sheets called 'Atlas' size. How appropriate.
And whenever I travel home to Bristol, I muse about moving back there and taking advantage of the resources and facilities that are available in the big city.... and not down here in the sticks! I always check out the print workshops at Spike Island and I noticed they are hosting a talk - albeit not until July - from Liz Miller, a printmaker working with cartography to map musical scores amongst other ideas. Fascinating stuff and her website is full of beautifully drawn and etched images. I'm putting a date in the diary now to visit home turf that weekend. If you're drawn to maps do take a look at all three of these artists and tell me what you think. I am keen to know how maps affect others and who else uses them in their work, and how.


7 comments:
Lesley, you have left me utterly without words. I followed every link and was transported to the most amazing places, so different and each and every one resonated deeply, spoke to me all the way over here, called me. I love maps, and was thinking 'mmm maps' when I saw your post, but I have been transported and humbled and simply stunned. Thank you.
Thank you for the introduction to new artists and new work ( to me). Wonderful and fascinating work. Makes me recognise the frustrated artist in me!
Once again you have become a great research tool for me, I love the things you show. We must meet up soon to compare notes. XXX
I really like Jeremy Gardiners work, I would like to see it in real life. Maps are such fun and a great resource, I love using them. Thought I was good at map reading too but got lost in Norwich recently!
It must be great to see Jeremy Gardiner's work in real life, I was very taken with it in Artist and Illustrator's, the first time I'd seen it. I may check the dates just in case I can visit, so thanks for blogging it Lesley.
I noticed last year that Khadi are stocking huge pieces of paper, I can't remember the size. I think it was because they made some specially for a well known artist, can't remember who again, and now supply them in general. Very tempting. Steph
you must check out nigel peake's drawings, some of them maps. and i too wonder why maps? sometimes i think a map is a drawing, the SAME thing actually.
came back by to say that jeremy gardniner's work has blown me away. thank you for the heads up. i wonder again what it is about maps?
Post a Comment