Monday, 20 April 2015

Nature's Calendar

 On the BBC Springwatch programme at Easter there was a request to look out for five things and record the dates they occur on the Nature's Calendar website, all with a view to finding out if Spring is happening earlier every year. Things like this really  make me focus so I wanted to join in. Along with the five specified items are a host of other events to record. If you're UK based it is valuable data and will continue with data for Autumn too so it's not too late to sign up.

I definitely think Spring is happening that bit earlier here. I've already noted the early return of the swallows and blackcaps to the garden and we've had our first moth trap of the year which produced a couple of moths which are not normally on the wing until mid May. Bluebells are already out and today I spotted garlic mustard and cuckoo flower in the lane at the end of the garden. It may all be down to this wonderful burst of warmth we are enjoying. I love this time of year when things almost seem to grow while you're looking at them and the note taking made me think about the breeding birds that come to Elegug Stacks, on the cliffs outside of Pembroke. I wondered how many of them were already in place so tonight we drove down after dinner to see what was happening.

 Well, this is what is happening. I've seen these cliffs crammed with many more birds than this so perhaps it is early days but the guillemots are out in force and pushing each other on and off ledges in their bids for territory or just enough space to cling on to! The noise was pretty loud and it was a beautiful warm and clear evening so you could hear them long before you could see them.
 Guillemots are birds that stay on the wing all their lives, with the only exception when they stay on land  being during the breeding season and I was surprised to read that they are an amber species. When you see such plentiful numbers it is hard to comprehend their decline over the past thirty years, during our own lifetime.



 It was a gorgeous evening and we walked a couple of miles along the cliff top seeing absolutely no-one else. As the noise of the guillemots receded there was another call I could not identify. I saw a group of four or five birds in the distance which I thought were crows but the call was all wrong. As I got closer I realised it was a small group of choughs, clearly identified by their red beaks and legs. In the hazy light I could not get a clear photo of them but we stood and watched their antics for a while before heading home. They are not a bird you see every day so it was pretty special to get a good look at them.

And then, to top off the evening, as we drove home over the bridge by the millpond to Carew Castle I saw some gorgeous reflections. That millpond was literally still and like glass so I had to pull up and take a look. I hope you're enjoying this Spring as much as I am.Take note of what's happening. Make every day count.

5 comments:

Gina said...

I'm certainly enjoying this wonderful Spring weather and enjoying spotting things. There were bluebells in the wood where we walked at the weekend but I'm not very good at identifying birds. I did see a hare last week though which made me very excited!

Frances said...

Perhaps because our 2014-15 seemed to linger for a very long time, our New York City spring seems to be quite a bit late in arriving. Only a week ago, I was still quite comfortable wearing my down-filled coat outdoors.

Finally we are having mild days, spring showers, and the flowers and green leaves are responding. I wish that I would have the treat of spotting some rare birds like that lovely red beaked chough you spotted. Thank you so much for sharing all the lovely photographs from your walk!

Cheers!

Frances said...

Ooops...of course, I meant our 2014-15 Winter...

Marigold Jam said...

Hasn't the weather be glorious though not really seasonal at all and I have seen ramsons and bluebells along with cowslips and our primroses are amazing this year too. There seem to be lots of bumble bees which I am constantly rescuing when they bumble into our conservatory (my patent bee catcher being a Bonne Maman ham jar and a piece of cardboard which lives in there for the purpose!)> There seems to be a buzzing in the garden and also a fluttering of many different butterflies. Yes I would say that spring came early this year. Lovely photos Lesley and the last one brought back happy mnemories of visits to your neck of the woods.

Anna said...

Interesting post Lesley and super photos. You live in a beautiful area. I saw my first swallows on April 11th, it's an exciting moment. I love the Spring emerging and bursting forth, a time full of new life and hope.