Monday, 12 December 2016

Is it really December?

 I am finding this December such a delight. This dry mild weather means glorious sunsets and some misty mornings. Yesterday brought the first touch of frost for us in the west but it disappeared as the sun rose, leaving everything weeping tears. It is all looking decidely ragged out there in the garden now but we resist the temptation to cut down the seedheads of the teasels, eupatoriums and hydrangeas until the bitter end. There's a lot of other seedheads too which are providing food for the birds and huge joy for us as we watch them plunder the treasure. The hardy Shoo Fly seed pod cases are getting more papery by the day and I shall harvest them for next years seed  soon but they look like winter stars on their long stalks and I keep thinking they'll last a little longer yet. It's hard to believe we are in the throes of Christmas lunches although with just over a week to the winter solstice, it has started to get dark here by 4pm and the days are most definitely shorter.  But it's been a magnificent autumn this year and I want it to continue for a bit longer. Please.









4 comments:

Sue Brown said...

So poetic, beautiful photographs.

Fiona Dempster said...

I so love the spareness, the honesty of winter seed pods and trees. The first photo looks stunning so beautiful and restful. I am happy you have had a gorgeous Autumn! We look forward to the solstice so that it isn't bright and sparky at 4.30am!

Gina said...

It has indeed been a glorious Autumn and as ever I can't believe the speed with which the year is racing by.

Judith nb Serena said...

Beautifully said, stunning photos.