Some friends have asked me to run a day of monoprinting for them in a couple of week's time. Most of them are selling artists but they all paint and I think printmakers use a different part of our brains so I am up for the challenge. I will probably concentrate on the subtractive side of monoprinting as I think it will appeal to they way they work but I must not assume and need to have all the areas covered on the day. I don't do monoprinting that often so I've been working in the shed for the past week or so revisiting all of the techniques and having a play. I have had a whale of a time and found myself chomping at the bit to get up there every day, something that I am guilty of avoiding if my mind is occupied elsewhere. I have stayed focussed and found a huge range of dried plant material I layered into a few telephone directories last summer and promptly forgot about.
As is the way with monoprinting, once you start, one print leads to another as you amass all the stencil and printed elements and keep turning them over or printing a ghost. Some are unmitigated disasters but if you keep layering print on print you come up with some intriguing things. All are completely unrepeatable and when I look at some of them I am already hard pressed to know how they came to being! I have raced through a large pile of paper and am awaiting much needed supplies in order to continue.
I've lost count of the number of prints I've pulled but as the paper supply dwindled I needed something to use up the ink I'd put out and I found a stack of small bookmarks in the drawer that I cut a couple of years ago for the UWE Bookmarks project. I tediously cut 100 of them and then went and did something else so they've languished there for a couple of years now.....
Well, no longer as I started to use them to finish off the ink I'd put out. On the first session I was using black and a couple of days later I'd moved onto an Azure Blue. Each time I've put some aside and then worked on a few of them in the second colour. Today was colour number three, an intense cadmium orange. I'd been looking at some bedlinen online the other day in vibrant blue and orange and knew I just had to roll out the juicy citrus shade for today. I've almost got a bit carried away with something that I started merely to use up materials. Back to the real focus tomorrow I think. Time to get subtractive and roll out the black ink again. Can't beat a bit of monochrome monoprint!
6 comments:
Oh my glory what a visual feast these are Lesley! I have been up and down and zoomed in and zoomed out again - so fabulous! You get such depth and interest with the layering you do - knowing when to stencil; when to ghost and the colours coming together as they are stunning - utterly eye-popping! I think your artist friends will have a ball.
A visual feast indeed. What fabulous results. How I wish I could join your friends in a class!
A wonderful collection of prints here Lesley, that shed of yours is buzzing with creative vibes.
Steph.
Gorgeous Lesley - I love the orange blue combination!!
A fantastic set of monoprints. I especially like the last ones with the cadmium orange
Fabulous! I love monoprinting using layering with stencils and colour combinations can be challenging at times, but fun...and it's true that disasters can (sometimes) be resurrected! So satisfying!
These are wonderful!
Post a Comment