Friday, 24 April 2009

Mary Margaret Briggs

It occurred to me that the pleasure I got from finding the paintings of Alicia Lachance was similar to that when I found out about Mary Margaret Briggs via another printmaker's blog.

Her images have the same strong graphic visual element that I love. She works directly from plant materials collected at her home on Vashon Island which she then runs through her etching press to create monotypes. Once completed, the images are then collaged and framed on a box canvas to create these colourful pieces.










Now that I have my etching press installed I shall be trawling my garden for leaves with similar shapes and textures. No longer will I have to print them by hand... now I have the technology for something a bit less hit and miss! Trouble is, there are so many other ideas and projects floating around in my head I will have to be really disciplined to pick the material at the optimum time and actually do something with it......




No comments: