Tuesday, 13 October 2009

Edwina Bridgeman


I popped into Carmarthen today and by chance went along to Oriel Myrddin to see what might be on. I was charmed to find 'Orchard' - an exhibition by Edwina Bridgeman. This is a touring exhibition from Brewery Arts in Cirencester and it is a delight. The work is conceived out of memories of things now lost - like the community orchards we used to have and even the varieties of apples that no longer exist. To Edwina Bridgeman, the names of these varieties could be characters in her own works of fantasy. I particularly fell for Barrington Pippin - he sounds so suave and is no doubt a jolly good chap.

There is an old table in the gallery. It's a space to write your own poems or stories about what memories orchards evoke and as her work has been sold as the exhibition tours, Edwina has then turned some of these true stories into new pieces that join the exhibition. I love that idea a lot. Similarly, I loved the bird box made out of an old book about birds and their nests and this wonderful sheep made from driftwood and rope. The fact that all these works are made from reclaimed and recycled materials adds to the message of the exhibition. It was a real treat to come across 'Orchard' this morning. It has made my day.



No comments: