Thursday, 4 November 2010

Oh Mrs Heelis, what would you think?

I do embrace new technology - honestly - and I love pop-up books... but I still like to hold the thing in my hand and turn the pages by myself. This is really clever stuff but nothing will ever beat the old fashioned way for me I think.

6 comments:

Ticking Stripes said...

I'm with you Lesley! Very clever indeed but how distracted will children be when you get to the point of trying to get them to learn to read if Peter Rabbit is actually jumping up and down in front of their eyes? Lond live paper. In London yesterday I noticed the advertising at the side of the tube escalators is now electronic on some lines - and it didn't engage me nearly as much!

menopausalmusing said...

I loved this........ BUT........... it worried me. It worried me in the same way that museums did when they introduced "press buttons" next to exhibits and school children used to dash around just pressing the buttons to see what lit up or moved but didnt pay any attention to the information written at the side. Somehow this doesn't have the cosiness of a book and the thought of snuggling up with someone to share it...........

Marigold Jam said...

I'm with the others on this! Just because you can doesn't mean you should does it? Nothing can (can it? I do hope not!) take the place of reading a proper book with a child cuddled up together on the sofa and I really fear for the next generation if they are put to "read" a book in this way - even if Mummy sits down with them it would never be the same would it? Very clever but no definitely not to take the place of the original.

Jane

LAC EMP 2020 said...

It seems we're all thinking along similar lines here. The iPad might be amazing technology but giving a child yet another gizmo to 'play with' rather than introducing them to books and reading for themelves seems to be something we'd all steer clear of. I keep thinking about the cost of the technology versus the simple pleasure of buying a book or, better still, choosing it form the local library.... getting off my soap box now....

Jee said...

I'm with the others on this - what about those battered and much loved books many of us still treasure from childhood, I don't see a collection of increasingly 'clever' technology (now defunct) fulfilling the same need somehow.

Jill said...

Absolutely agree, the technology is amazing, the artwork sensitive, but ... the prime function of a real book is to read the story, here it is to play with the technology.
These won't be passed on, cherished or become collectors items, just deleted to make room for the next thing.