Friday, 17 June 2011

Strange week

I have had a strange week. The fact that the weather has been so up and down means that plans have been changed continuously to fit in with it. One minute it is glorious sunshine so I've been out and about with my sketchbook trying to find elements in the landscape that I want to translate onto paper . It does not float my boat so part of me is happy to find an alternative occupation when it it raining - like more experiments with the tyvek. I rusted a few more sheets - when it was hot one afternoon - and then looked for scraps in my rag bag to bond it to. I found a small piece of lace and some grey ribbed fabric and wondered whether I could somehow sandwich them all together. I bonded the lace to the grey first and then bonded again into the tyvek. The results were not bad so I found some more lacy scraps and decided to have a go on some curtain interlining. The scrap above is jusy tyvek onto lace but I am really pleased with the piece below.


The soft interlining gives it a warm feel and it is quite flexible. I think I could manage to embroider some beads or stitch into it and then use it as a book wrap or book cover... but I am no embroiderer so that may just stay in my head as a possibility. In truth I have spent most of the week fretting over the bird life in my garden. I normally love this time of year as the nestlings fledge from all the boxes in the garden but the weather has played a strange role this year. Blackbirds are apparently struggling because the ground is too hard and there are not enough worms to feed on. Our moth traps have not been very productive as yet and after an initial burst there are very few butterflies around. There is not enough insect food for fledglings so we have started to put nuts and seed out again for the adults.



So far this season I have only seen one baby blackbird and he has disapeared. I saw three young robins in the garden but found one of them dead the other morning. Sadly, he had flown into my bathroom window. He is now amongst my tiny collection of deceased avians. The goldfinches have been successful and they are around and about, as are the Greater Spotted Woodpeckers too. The adults are regular visitors and their calling has been going on for a few weeks now so it was great to finally see a juvenile appear this week on the feeder. I'd be surprised if they only had one youngster but that's all we've seen to date.



There are also chaffinches around and I caught this little chap and a few others in the tree last night being fed by the parents but every time I look at the feeder I either see the woodpecker or the frenzied grouping of these Great Tit fledglings. They are super abundant this year, along with blue tits and they swarm over the feeders. We are going through seeds and peanuts like nobody's business almost as much as we do in the winter. We don't know what to do for the best. If we keep feeding we worry that they won't try to find other food but , on the other hand, we're not convinced there is enough other food out there at present.



The swallows are incredibly active but there is not sign of any young as yet. I have not seen as many swallows around this year and not a single swift at all. Very unusual. The biggest surprise came last night. I was sat in the conservatory in the semi dark just before 10 and a beautiful, but quite small, barn owl glided across the garden from the field next door. In the twilight it was as ghostly as you'd expect it to be. Despite living in a very rural area that is only the third time I've seen a barn owl here in 10 years so it was very special.




Now is the time of year that we should be putting out a moth trap and recording the data at least 2 or 3 times a week but there is no point in all this rain.... and there is more of it again today. Flaming June eh? I am hoping for better weather next week and a return to summer..... oh no, I just remembered it's the start of Wimbledon. It may be more of the same then. Better get my brolly out.








12 comments:

Jee said...

We're feeding the birds in our garden - they're going through the seed so quickly we can hardley keep up. We seem to have quite a few young ones - tits and finches of various sorts mainly. A young woodpecker tried to sample our wood coloured UPVC conservatory yesterday!

Jane Housham said...

What wonderful photos. I specially like the one of the fluffy young finch.
And I'm very curious about the rusting of the tyvek. It is all so mysterious!

Sue Brown said...

So what is with all the rusting?
Love the birds. XX

Young at Heart said...

what utterly gorgeous photos, particularly that last one...like a painting!!

Marigold Jam said...

Interesting post Lesley. Hope the birds will be OK it is a bit of a problem knowing what to do for the best isn't it? We have owls in the woods here and occasionally see one glide silently by - it's magic isn't it?! Love the experimental pieces you are producing.

menopausalmusing said...

Absolutely love that top piece of fabric, almost looks like devoree..... a strange year re nature.... I have a dead (rust coloured!) dragonfly on my table (courtesy of my bad boy cat), BUT had the opportunity to stroke and hold a Little Owl the other night. It fell down next door's chiminey at around 10.30 pm and David was asked to come round and rescue it...... How lucky were you to capture a lesser spotted woodpecker baby on film???

Re Postman's Knock: I think the prize for the title that has "stretched" people the most has to go to Sue........

menopausalmusing said...

Oops! Popped back to say how much I admired your new header. Stunning! Also realised my faux pas re the woodpecker in your photo.... doh!!!

Gina said...

Loving the rust/lace experiments. The only baby bird we've seen raised in our garden has been a cuckoo - I was not impressed!

Jill said...

The only young birds we seem to have are magpies, and although they are prolific and preditors I do have to laugh at one who is determined to get food from the feeder and gets up to all sorts of antics. We have had nesting pairs of blackbirds and robins but no babies, and Mrs Bb seems to have disappeared too.
Love watching your experiments, please keep us posted.

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Hello again - At long last I have finished school! Your arty fabric work is really unusual - I have not heard of anything like that. We have had lots of baby sparrows in the garden, and the House Martins are busy with their chicks too. We had a Hedgehog in the garden last night but we have also not seen many moths or butterflies. I hope July is hot and sunny!
Lucy xxxxxx

Ticking Stripes said...

Not sure about a collection of deceased avians! Lovely pics - we don't many lovely colourful birds round here although I did see some bluetits taking flying lessons recently.

Joanna said...

I worry about our birds too and spend a fortune on quality food for them - I feed them all the year round after reading that the RSPB recommended it. We seem to have only a few birds producing babies - LOTS of crows and a few blue tits. All our starlings and sparrows have gone, our chaffinches seem to have gone elsewhere, and the blackbirds are around but aren't feeding at my feathered friends cafe.

Shame about the baby robin :o(

Interesting experiments with tyvek and lace. Love the rusting.