Sunday, 31 March 2013

Will Spring ever get sprung?

 My husband retired just over two weeks ago and my routine (such as it was) has disappeared. I seem to spend a lot of time drinking tea with him in the sitting room and taking even more notice of what is happening outside in this really cold weather. In the past week I've seen Mr Fox more times than I have in the 12 years we've lived here. Similarly, Brock the badger, who decimates what passes for grass here, has also made a nightly appearance, usually scoffing up the seedstuffs thrown out of the feeders by the numerous birds and dastardly squirrels. Whilst I see evidence of their visits I've only seen one in the garden before. Now, I can time my watch by him. In between I count the rabbits that are multiplying faster than seems possible and working out ways to decrease their numbers.

The jays  that we've had all winter still come regularly to feed from the leftovers on the ground and we are also lucky enough to have yellowhammers, goldfinches, siskins, coal tits and woodpeckers visit in numbers. The weather has been sunny and dry here in Wales but very, very cold. The wind is biting and it is hard to think it will be April tomorrow. We're only a few weeks away from the return of the swallows. I certainly hope they are bringing their winter coats with them! As for building nests, they will be lucky to find enough water to make mud with. Every morning our bird bath is frozen over but, we thaw it out and it gets plenty of visitors through the day as you can see. I cannot remember the last day it rained. Unheard of here.

This is the first 'light' night after putting the clocks forward yesterday so I doubt we will see badgers from here on. I'd be delighted if I didn't see rabbits and squirrels etc but it's all part and parcel of living in the country isn't it? We are trying a moth trap tonight. So far this year we've had a couple and recorded exactly nothing. No moths at either attempt. I'm not convinced tonight will be any different but we'll see. This time of year we should be seeing the March Moth in huge numbers so it's worrying that we've seen none. The seasons are proving unpredictable but I feel like Spring is almost here. Hope so.






9 comments:

Gloria Freshley Art and Design said...

Temperatures here reached into the 70s this weekend and it felt wonderful! Hope warm weather is just around the corner for you! I love your photos of the these sweet birds!

menopausalmusing said...

Exquisite photos Lesley, that last one is ADORABLE. We now have our first greater spotted woodpecker feeding from nuts suspended on the Judas tree so are getting a good look at him! My, but it's cold though.........

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photographs!

Fiona Dempster said...

I love your photos of those birds - we were just commenting yesterday how noisy and raucous and bright our birds are here - never decorous at all. Sorry to hear of the cold cold cold; but glad in a way you've been out of the rain for a bit. Your wildlife is so foreign and amazing to me...rabbits everywhere! foxes, badgers...like wind in the willows! Hope Spring and moths appear soon...

Jill said...

Great wild life report Lesley, I guess you are both still in "holiday mode", but being indoor watching the wild life takes a lot of beating. We spend a long time gazing out of the window at the bird feeders too. Our numbers of tits seems to have gone down, but we are up on greenfinches and chaffinches. We get lots of goldfinches. I love the nut hatch, haven't seen one of those here in our urban garden although we did have one sighting of a great spotted woodpecker. The robin now has a shy mate and 'she' only appears briefly. He is a bully and chases off the dunnocks, but he's quickly forgiven. We've also seen our first wren this winter for ages, so hopefully it will find a mate and stick around. Your photographs are a real treat.

Jee said...

Beautiful bird photos, Lesley.It's so cold here the snow refuses to melt from off our decking making bird feeding hazardous. We do get a wonderful variety of birds though.
Having a husband around does change the pattern of one's days ...

Anna said...

Great variety of birds you get, lovely photographs. Freezing cold down here in Dorset despite 2 days of sunshine and a brief touch of warmth on Saturday.

Patricia G said...

Yes the cold is a bit of a shock. Having to delay garden plans, the ground is still ice logged. I'm very glad for the lengthening days and the spells of blue sky though.
Great bid photos! I'm sure those poor little things are thankful for your help.

Amelia said...

there's something serene about the way you write about living in the country. I see and imagine the animals and it has such a different impact to life here living in a big city (London). I sometimes dream of living in the country and enjoy visiting my sisters who live in Devon and then I wonder if the slower pace would be too different for me, even though at times I long for it. Love your posts.

Off to look at fossil hunting now :)