Sunday, 10 March 2013

Fossil hunting

After a couple of non descript days the sun shone again yesterday so we decided to head to West Angle Bay so that I could do a bit of fossil hunting! The rock formation down there is amazing but we headed there via Stack Rocks to see if the birds had started to gather for breeding yet. You cannot tell from my photo because, although it was bright, the sun came and went and it was very misty, but the rocks have started to colonise with guillemots and razorbills. In a few short weeks they will be heaving so a return trip is planned - with binoculars! The sea was rough both here and at Freshwater West beach but by the time we got to the shelter of Angle Bay it was much calmer.

I did not find any significant fossils at Angle, probably because I was too distracted by the patterns and colours of everything else around me. We spent a couple of hours messing about in rock pools - at our age!- but it was a fabulous afternoon. Hope everyone else is having a great weekend.








9 comments:

Jane Housham said...

Beautiful photos -- they just got more and more dreamlike as the sequence went on. I'm there!

steph said...

Excellent pictures Lesley, more gorgeous beach images for poor old land locked me to look at!

Marigold Jam said...

Stunning photos Lesley - can almost smell the ozone.

Jill said...

Oh to be able to go to the coast for the day..... Beautiful shots Lesley.

Frances said...

Lesley, I looked at your photographs for quite a while and so enjoyed that lingering look. You eye is marvelous. Thank you for photographing images that would have also caused me to hope that I had my camera in my bag.

Cheers!

Penny said...

Such lovely photos, I too like messing about on beaches and taking photos, yours are amazingly similar in some ways to mine in a different part of the world.

menopausalmusing said...

Echoing the sentiments of everyone else - stunning photos Mrs....

Anna said...

Great photos but excited to see the name Angle and then a photo of Thorn Island! When I was about 10 my family holidayed on it when it was a hotel. We went across to the island in a little rowing boat and there were nearly 100 steps up to the building. Each day we sailed to a different beach; happy memories! I saw that it was for sale a few years back.

Sophie Munns said...

Would so love to accompany you on this kind of expedition lesley. Wonderful photos!