Friday, 12 July 2013

A mini flower show


 Because 'wild flowers' are uppermost in my mind at the moment it's hardly surprising that a visit to the Books for Free shop yesterday saw me trawling through the boxes looking for books to draw me further into the theme. I am always drawn to the children's section and picked up these two little gems. The blue book is a bit the worse for wear but I was thinking what a great cover it has to save and use for a new sketchbook maybe?

The other book was first written in 1944 and reprinted in 1946. Often books printed at this time carry small stickers mentioning the paper quality as it was wartime but this one makes the point most clearly when you read the foreward in detail. 


 When you read about village flower shows and the like it sounds like something long gone yet these events are still the mainstay of village life during the summer months. Our local agricultural show is in two weeks time and it is always - if it does not rain.... - a great day out. I love looking at the entries in the veg competitions. If it wasn't for the rabbits here I might even have entered the 'five straight beans' class this year! Similarly, look at this line down below written in 1944......

..... because we went to a cinema down a winding country lane only last night! In a village about three miles away the village hall started showing recent films sometime last year. The events are free but a donation is asked for. I often notice that some people don't pay but for a fiver we have a good night out. Last night we saw 'Quartet' and I know it's not current in the cinema but it was an easy watch and we were home in less than five minutes. Can't be bad can it?

The flower show mention in the book reminded me of a wonderful post by Celia at Purple Podded Peas the other day. She was reminiscing about cut flowers and has some beautiful images of them in a bucket, picked from her garden. I always love reading in magazines about people who make a living growing cut flowers but it is too easy to forget that it is really hard work. Whilst we've enjoyed glorious sunshine and soaring temperatures for the past week it has meant getting the watering can out to keep even some of the perennials from drooping. As so many cut flowers tend to be annuals imagine the effort needed to keep them going. Our garden comes into its own in a few weeks time but I went out this morning with the secateurs intent on following Celia's example and picking a jug full of the few  flowers in bloom now. I started in  my front garden and got no further as I  just couldn't bring myself to pick them for some reason. They all looked so beautiful in situ that I decided to let them off for today. I'm just waiting for the dahlias and the cosmos to get going and then I'll be out there with the gloves off to follow Celia's lead. Perhaps then  I might swap the 'five straight beans nibbled by rabbits' class for the 'jug full of blousy late summer perennials' class at the local show. If I do, I'll let you know how I get on......





8 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Lovely post Lesley. I have often wondered whaever happened to the sort of patriotism shown in the paragraph from your book. England - well Britain of course - is a beautiful country and we should be proud of it and want to take care of it all but that doesn't mean not appreciating other countries too and the fact that their nationals might well think the same about thire own countries too. I am glad to hear that all the little things that make Britain great - and I use a small letter here intentionally - are still going strong in odd corners of the nation. Tell me what is the pink flower in your pics I have seen a lot of it this year and don't know what it is. Like you I can't bear to pick my garden flowers to bring inside apart from sweet peas which benefit from cutting.

Patricia G said...

Great books and beautiful photographs Lesley. Astrantia is becoming my latest obsession but it doesn't seem to want to flower in my garden. I too thought to pick some of my garden flowers but felt bad that I was stealing them from the bees. Thank you for sharing.

Jill said...

Hear hear to Jane's comment about your book's foreword. I could write a page about conservation, etc, but I'll just echo this sentiment instead. Despite our moans about wet and cold weather and the late spring, everything in the garden seems abundant at the moment. We have dozens of bumblebees in the flowering shrubs which have put up the best show for years. I have seen the swifts down our road disappearing under someone else's eaves and they been swooping low between the telephone wires and trees up the length of the street, and we have a few young visitors to the bird feeders, although I'm afraid the rocketing cat population may have taken its toll. Must get on with a few tasks now before it gets too warm!!

Jane Housham said...

Such lovely things -- printed and growing. Thank you.

Frances said...

Thank you so much for sharing that gem of a book with us. The spirit of the words on that single page touched my heart.

Your pretty garden flowers are surely grateful for your tender care. I also enjoyed Celia's post.

Best wishes.

Gina said...

Fabulous post Lesley. I never think to cut flowers from my garden. Like you, I tend to enjoy them in situ.

Joanna said...

What a wonderful book, the cover would be perfect for a sketchbook :) I loved reading the patriotic foreward too.



Fiona Dempster said...

I am vicariously enjoying your summertime wanderings. You can feel the difference from here- time goes more slowly, things are abundant, sunshine makes you happy and mellow...Enjoy!