Today is the start of the Big Butterfly Count organised by Butterfly Conservation. After the wash out of last summer followed by the cold Spring and now soaring temperatures they want to see the effect on numbers and find out which species are thriving or, sadly, struggling. It only takes 15 minutes at a time to suit you and results can be easily recorded online.Follow the link to identification charts and information about photographic competitions and lots of other interesting stuff.
We are seeing loads of Large Whites and Meadow Browns here. Numbers are down for Speckled Woods, usually one of our most frequent sightings, and I've yet to see a Tortoiseshell so I own up to this photo being from a trip to Rosemoor a couple of years ago. There are no sightings of day flying moths, not even the prolific Silver Y, but on a positive note the moth traps we are running at night are overflowing.We are easily getting over 200+ moths per night and they are frisky in the warmth. When we take the covers off in the morning we are surrounded by clouds of moths flying off to the nearest hedge. Not everyone's idea of fun I know but seeing such high numbers gladdens my heart.
Ironically, the book I picked up at the library this week is all about British butterflies. The librarian told me, in that quiet voice they reserve for some, that I'd already borrowed this book. I told him I knew that but that it was so good I thought I'd read it again ! It appears that re-reading a book is a bit of a surprise to them but I can recommend 'The Butterfly Isles' by Patrick Barkham if you enjoy natural history.It tells the story of this amateur naturalist and his attempt , in one year, to track down all 59 of our native butterflies. It is an excellent read and as one reviewer put it ...'shows us why we should give a damn...'
The count goes on until mid August so I hope some of you will find that 15 minutes and have fun.
5 comments:
I'm ashamed to admit I probably couldn't identify many species although I have noticed quite a few different types around the garden this week.
I probably need to read the book first so that I can tell one from another I am sorry to say! I did see lots the other day along the River Frome including - I think - some of the ones in you picture. I seem to have noticed more this year but maybe that's because I am outside more this summer!! I often get a book out more than once from the library - one I remember having several times and I eventually bought a copy of my own!
We are getting a few butterflies now after a very slow start. But in isolated patches there are lots - such as on the rough grass area in my mother's garden. Mostly we've seen Ringlets this summer, but a few Meadow Browns and Skippers have also been about. I also think I spotted a Small Tortoiseshell - they used to be so common, didn't they?!
Yay! Small Tortoiseshells here yesterday on the Statice. Lots of Gatekeepers too. I shall set aside some time to participate in the count.
We have seen several species here in the last couple of weeks, large and small white, peacock, brimstone, small tortoiseshell, a red admiral and little brown ones I can never remember. However I can imagine that in the 15mins the butterfly count asks you to monitor I shall only see a few cabbage whites! The buddlea is just about to come out, so hopefully that will attract some. We do have masses of bumble bees after seeing so few in the spring. Lovely pic Lesley.
Post a Comment