Saturday, 17 August 2013

It started with a stitch


 I've been away to beautiful Shropshire this week and spent two days of my break at a wonderful workshop, part of a programme developed by Bobby Britnell and delivered by Shelley Rhodes. In the company of some very talented people we painted fabrics and papers ...and then we did some stitching. It's a bit of a running joke that I don't stitch things but I had a go, using my photos taken of the graffiti marks and initials etched into the walls of St David's Cathedral as my ongoing inspiration. Then we made plates and printed them , drew on the pages with sticks and inks, laminated papers to fabrics and did more stitching. I think I was the only one who actually stitched the book together but as I look through it the silk organza pages reveal and hide the drawing or stitching on the other sides.There is more to do. I may laminate some pages together and then re-draw or stitch over them. It's a long time since I made anything so enjoyable. I loved every moment of it.







15 comments:

Anna Mavromatis said...

What a lovely project! Your markings are amazing and in total tune to your source of inspiration; I LOVE it!!!

Celia Hart said...

I like that you stitched your experiments into a book. And I like the monotone stone like theme.
I'd be outside my comfort zone with this (maybe you'd say that's why I ought to do more 'playing').

Jane Housham said...

I'd really like to hold your book and look through it for myself. Tantalising pics! Your pleasure at making it is palpable.

Marigold Jam said...

What fun! So glad you enjoyed your couple of days and hope R also enjoyed his time walking etc?

Sue Brown said...

Gorgeous!!

Gina said...

Lucky you! Shelley was a tutor of mine a few years ago. I love the results and the way you have put them into a book. My friend Gill was there this week too.

menopausalmusing said...

Beautiful mark making and it all looks so very, very tactile.

Fiona Dempster said...

Oh me oh my. That looks like the most beautiful and amazing book Lesley - to hold it in your hands...wow. I love your mark making and your stitches and the whole look and feel and how can I feel this way from thousands of miles away?? Oh wow.

Anna said...

What a fun time you had, the book reflects the fun you had with the painting, mark making and stitching-just lovely!

vintagerockchick said...

It WAS a fab couple of days,wasn't it. Your book was brilliant, and as I think you were the only one to finish, I don't believe that you're not really a stitcher!
(Gina sent me the link to your blog) x

steph said...

Good to see you stitching Lesley; the book is wonderful.

Kim Henkel Creations said...

WOW what beauty you created. Every mark is so lovely.

Jill said...

oh, oh, oh Lesley this is beautiful. What a wonderful way to keep you work together and fabulous that you should want to keep working in it.

Gloria Freshley Art and Design said...

Hi Leslie,

These are gorgeous! What a wonderful experience! All the best. . . Gloria

Lynn Taylor said...

An exquisite blend of media and processes.