Last Friday I delivered the first of four one day book making workshops for the local authority lifelong learning department.Classes in the south of the county which had been structured to run for a couple of hours every week had not had enough take up so I was delighted when the all day workshops in the north of the county filled up to capacity and even more pleased when it became apparent that the majority of people had booked on every one of them. This meant I could start with basic stitching and structures and actually see the increase in their knowledge as I make each month slightly (lots...) more complicated. We concentrated on 5 or 6 ways to make a single section book and with so many people - there were 14 - we had to go at the pace of the majority, so I postponed a couple of the ideas I had planned whilst everyone made their first books using wallpaper samples I'd brought with me for covers. They all kindly said I could put photographs of their work on the blog and then I forgot to take any! I will show the fruits of their labours next time as they made some lovely things. The books above are my samples I made on the day in my demonstrations.
One of the ideas I wanted to show was that we don't always have to start from scratch to make a book, especially if you want to produce a single section hard bound plain notebook or sketchbook. So, I took along lots of small books, all unloved and free from Books for Free. I know I've mentioned this charity before and not everyone has access to a site but if you do, they are a great place to find A6 sized books to give a new life to. Prior to the workshop I'd been visiting them every time I went into town, often with my husband in tow so that I could have his quota of free books too. There are some wonderful old cover illustrations and titles out there that would make fabulous new notebooks.
I picked the green book to make first for the workshop. Luckily the spine was still intact and tight so I was able to remove the text block and use the whole cover before inserting new pages in a single section with a five hole pamphlet stitch and with new end papers to cover the old ones. This is now my new notebook for all the odd jottings that come to me during the day. I must have something to write notes in or else I would be lost! I shall also keep the old text block for collage etc so that nothing is wasted. On another visit I found the 'Britain Needs Books' copy with a tatty spine falling off but I loved the cover and the whole message of it so a bookcloth spine was the answer.
I am so pleased with both of these and think they would make a great idea for gifts. I know some of my friends would find having a tatty cover a turn off but others would love the re-using of something, especially if it had a quirky, interesting cover. I think I shall be making many more of these and giving old books a new life. In the meantime I have to prepare for the next workshop. This time I'll remember to take photos!
9 comments:
Wonderful recycling of old books Lesley. You've given me some new ideas.
Snap! I ran a workshop on using old brooks and papers to make skech and note books. I have been peering at the photo to work out your binding. I used a simple coptic binding on mine. I have posted it on the blog if you are interested.
Brilliant!
I can imagine having a 14 student class was not a breezy situation, but the joy and triumph you made these people experience...: a true bliss!
Congratulations!!!
So glad the courses took off so well and how I wish I was near enough to have come too. I'd love to learn how to do this and can't wait to see what the next lesson covers although I know I will be so jealous of those students!
Great books - I wish I lived nearer!!
Oh these are absolutely marvellous and really inspiring. I love the one at the top with the writing implements on it -- and all the books you found in the free shop look exceptional. Your sessions will be a massive success, no doubt about it.
I sit here wondering - how one earth did I miss that? I gather and collect lots of old books and deliberately often small books, and never not once have I thought to rip the pages out and use the covers for notebook! Daft of me, so thank you for today's bombshell. I also love the stitching on those top examples - it all looks so interesting! So glad the classes were a success - people just love making books and how luck are they to have you teach them?!?
So glad your workshop started well. Looking forward to seeing your students' work next time. Love your recycled old book covers. We only seem to get modern books in our local charity shops, mind you I have enough note books to keep me occupied for quite a while yet!
Great recycling! Glad your classes are full, they will have such fun. It's hard to take photos when you're teaching a class - too busy!
Post a Comment