After reading Sue's continuing blog posts I thought I could work out the process so I made a couple of sample plates which did not print well and this tonal plate above suddenly taught me why they had failed. Even if I'd made no other plates, this one alone would have been worth going to the workshop for.... but friend or not, Sue has a plan for her workshops and she makes sure you get the most from them so resting on your laurels is a no-no. We were encouraged to try lots of mediums to create tones but my favourite one is the rich velvety one achieved by leaving the silk uncoated. A close up view of my photos show how juicy and wet those prints still are. I think they'll need a few weeks to dry off completely!
Here's the plate alongside the resulting print. It was drizzled with glues and paints and has some inking issues but, alongside the three small ones below, will inform where I go next with this process.
Some workshops can be an awkward mix but there were five of us and we just gelled so well, making it a great environment to learn in. Some of us were experienced and one was a beginner to printmaking but we all had a fabulous time. The others kindly said I could show their images here :
Sally - inspired by the Chinese Lanterns in the garden at Hampen
Corinna adding chine colle to one of her plates
Sally No 2 using viscosity inking to highlight her imagery
And finally, Liz, who produced for me, the print of the weekend. By accident Liz stuck some card to her plate the wrong side up. Instead of a shiny, wipe free surface she had the rougher texture uppermost so needed to salvage it with glues. Her initial print was lovely but when she tried viscosity inking over it, it was even better. Look at that beautiful plate. For me, a work of art in it's own right. When this is dry and framed it will be stunning... and all from a mistake! That's the serendipity of printmaking for you. No wonder I love it so.
5 comments:
It all looks very interesting and the results are great. Your enthusiasm shines through and even though I have no idea how you do this and don't understand what it is you have been doing I can tell you had a great time!
I too haven't got a clue what you've been doing, despite your detailed explanation - but I LOVE the results! How very interesting; each and every one is stunning, especially the tonal plate!
The prints produced by your classmates are also stunning (chinese lanterns, my particular favourite), and the last one was a very happy accident!
x
Sounds like you had a ball and got some great results to keep you going for a while. I'd love to reach thru the screen and pick up the prints AND the plates…they look so intriguing from here.
This sounds absolutely fascinating and I love the results but I haven't a clue what you were actually doing either! A completely new process to me.
You've summed up the excitement of printmaking so well! Very interesting results for you all. Our group never make mistakes, we call them artistic opportunities!!Continue to have lots of fun with this medium.
Post a Comment