Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Red is the colour of autumn

 I've seen some beautiful blog posts about the striking autumn colours this year. Our colour has come late here in the far west and I only really noticed the intensity of it this weekend. During some local woodland  walks in the past few days I was struck by the amount of fungi I saw, particularly bracket fungus, so I went out into the garden to see if I could find any here and suddenly realised what was under my own nose! Some trees have nearly shed all of their leaves, whilst others are hanging in there. We have lots of birch and maple trees all shedding their bark and tall grasses with architectural seedheads which look wonderful against the light but the overwhelming colour out there is red. In truth, most of it is generated by a beautiful Acer  Osakazuki which we've had for about 15 years. It just glows and almost hurts the eyes when you look at it in some light.

All my foraging around did not find any fungi so I shall have to go further afield to look for more of that, but I did find some oak galls attached to a trio of leaves. It was lying intact on the ground and is now on the table ready to draw. The dry autumn has been wonderful but it might be coming to an end....we've had a bit of snow this morning, turning from hail to slush, and it is definitely a few degrees colder. I hope this is not the start of 'Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter....'






6 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Lovely photos Lesley. That tree at the end of our road is almost bare now but the leaves on the ground are still lovely - also an acer. I was searching for some oak galls like that to try and make some ink with but couldn't find any round here. I did find some rather knobbly ones which are a different kind of gall but sad to say I didn't get round to trying them out for ink making. Snow eh? Oh dear better stock up just in case you know how steep our road is imagine it when snow covered!

Frances said...

Your photographs bring a true autumn feast to all who stop by your site.

It's so beautiful to see all these natural signals that we are sent as totally free seasonal gifts.

Over here in New York, it's abruptly turned chilly. Yesterday was a sweater and scarf day. Today, the wind and temperature drop meant that getting out the down-filled coat seemed very wise.

Tomorrow, it might be hat and gloves time. All happening too quickly.

Best wishes.

Jill said...

Just catching up. Love the printing, followed up by looking at Sue's blog. I find it so appealing. Haven't had much time to appreciate autumn, so your photos are a treat. Lots of inspiration.

Joanna said...

Beautiful photographs, Lesley. It really is the most beautiful time of the year - if only because we know the bleak months are just around the corner.

It has been jolly cold here over the last few days :(

x

steph said...

Gorgeous images as usual Lesley.

Gina said...

The red on your tree is stunning. Such beautiful photographs Lesley but I was a little worried at the mention of snow already.