Monday, 13 January 2014

Flagging ...... in more ways than one!

 I've been preparing lots of samples for my next bookmaking workshop on Friday. We're going to cover off flag books and all the variations that are open to experimentation. It provides me with the perfect post title as 'flagging' has been an apt description of my appetite for blogging in recent months.

I still love following the blogs of people I've always followed and I will always comment if I can think of something to say that doesn't make me sound too dull witted but, I took a look at my statistics recently and noticed that year on year, I have posted less and less. I don't know why that is because I'm still doing lots of things and finding many things I find fascinating but I think  I've lost sight of why I started a blog in the first place.  I don't think I'll do anything drastic like stop altogether but I am rethinking what I'll post about in future and how often. With my infrequent attempts I'm surprised anyone is still out in the ether following - but thank you if you are!

The year has started in 'busy, busy' mode with lots happening. After a lifetime of dreading going near water in a bathing suit, I am finally learning to swim properly and actually did a few glides under the surface on my own yesterday. I'm a long way from swimming the channel but it feels pretty good to conquer some of those long held demons. There's lots of decorating going on here too and even though I'd prefer to have a different sort of paintbrush in my hand it feels good to be making changes in the house as well. Despite the horrendous weather I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a better Spring and Summer ahead so there are lots of orders for seeds going in the post and lots of garden changes in the pipeline too. I feel very 'in control' of the direction of life and enormously energised by the New Year.


 The group of ladies that have been with me for all four of the book making workshops to date have all contributed to a group book idea. I have made this origami pocket book and they have each contributed a decorated tag to slot inside each pocket. The idea is that everyone who has produced a tag will get their name in the hat on Friday, and somebody will be lucky enough to take home a sample of everyone's work in a book format. They have been a fabulous bunch of people to work with and there are more workshops planned at this venue, plus ideas afoot for running some printing/mark making classes too which will translate into work for artist books. I'm hoping 2014 will be a very creative year for all concerned.


I'm still playing with ideas for Friday including double sided accordions with lots and lots of flags as well working out how to nestle one flag inside another when using circular or different page frames. It's such a wonderful structure that I feel certain the group will come up with some great ideas of their own which I hope to share in a later post. I've been playing with flag books that will make a single image when opened flat and repetitive images that, if changed slightly on each set of flags alter the perception of the image. It involves a bit of maths and only works with certain images, mainly those involving movement or action. Similarly, I've been playing with materials, currently making a book from pieces of chopped up inkjet transparencies encased in laminated plastic. The imagery isn't quite working on that one yet, but it makes a fabulous clacking sound when opened quickly. Somehow that seems to give me a lot of pleasure! Lots still to do and handout notes to write. Onwards and upwards.

9 comments:

Gina said...

I'm still following and always look forward to reading your posts however infrequent they may be. I wish I ciould come and make books with you and pick up some of your enthusiasm for the new year.

steph said...

Don't stop Lesley, your blog is beautiful, interesting and your photographs are stunning. There you go, enough praise for a Wednesday, and good luck with the swimming, and the classes.

Patricia G said...

lots of positive stuff! thank you for all the inspiration you have ignited ( however unknowingly). please keep on sharing.12 4466482

Jo's World said...

It would be a great joy to be in your bookmaking class! Maybe someday. . .

Jo in Minniesnowda

Marigold Jam said...

Less is sometimes more and I always find your posts well worth waiting for so count me in with those who will continue to follow! I know just what you mean though and as you know I too have been through periods of not posting. How I wish I could join your ladies as those books are amazing and I'd love to know how you make them. Keep posting as and when you feel like it and I'll be here to read what you have to say.

Gill said...

I'm still following Lesley!!
I wish I was in your bookmaking class!

Fiona Dempster said...

I'm late to the party but like all the others love stopping by when there's a post (but i missed this one sorry). I would LOVE to be in one of your workshops - your preparation and care is so evident and you obviously teach well because they make great books! I love all your ideas and whimsical explorations...

Jane Housham said...

I'm still following as well, and I find I don't at all care how frequently blog-friends post -- I'm just happy to see them when they pop up. I also feel that blogs often have a similar rhythm, in terms of the frequency of posts, starting urgently and tailing off, but it doesn't really matter.
Marvellous stuff you've been working on too.

JAQUINTA said...

I like your posts about flag books - very good photographs ..... I sometimes wonder
why I continue to blog .....

londonbookworks.blogspot.co.uk