Friday, 17 January 2014

Saluting the flags.....

 We had a great workshop today making origami pockets and flag books with either various flags or one assembled image in them. I thought the single image book would be a straightforward way to start but I was proved wrong. Trying to work out the maths for folding and layout proved a bit of an initial struggle for everyone - well it was a Friday morning! - but we all got there in the end. At last I took some photos that can be shared. Hallelujah...  except I don't have one for the work that Sheila and Deborah produced. Sorry girls but anyone reading this can take my word for it that everyone excelled today. The top photo is of a mini origami pocket book that Lilian made from gift wrap and a seed catalogue. I love it when items are recycled into books!
 Halina made this wonderfully 'clean' butterfly book and we all agreed that it's simplicity worked. Covers are to follow for a lot of these books but today was all about cementing the process in their minds and practicing ideas. One of my workshop samples included some old postage stamps that I'd glued into some slide transparency frames I've had for a lifetime or two. I had hundreds so took some along and Halina selected some  plus some stamps I also took along  to make another example below.

 Here are Eileen's two samples, one tiny one of a single image and another small book using the slides. Eileen works very neatly and brought along some exquisite books to show us that she had made since the last workshop. I was incredibly envious of one with a monoprinted cover. Gave me ideas.....
 ....as did this book by Kathryn who utilised the slide frames with some alphabet gift wrap. She painstakingly cut out the small images and hidden in this flag book is both her own name and that of her husband. She added a lovely cover to it and I think it's going to be a gift for him. Lovely idea.
 Both Ann (above) and Cynthia (below) worked in miniature. Hopefully the bottle gives some scale and highlights these small but beautifully formed books. They are both precise, neat workers  and I love those flowers. Made me think that the flag book would be a great vehicle for packets of seeds, either bought from the shop or homegrown offerings packaged up as gifts for people.

 Finally, here are two examples from Margaret (above) and Maggie, who used a Paul Klee postcard image. Maggie had also made lots of samples of flag books to share and also brought along a home made nipping press, made yesterday by her husband and herself. I should have photographed it but she might be going into production so I must not spoil it but suffice to say you can do some very professional things with some carriage bolts and a couple of solid wood chopping boards from Tesco.

They have been a great group to work with and I know they kindly look in on these pages so thank you again to everyone for throwing yourself into these workshops and making some stunning books. Get your diaries out for the next ones. Dates to follow!

9 comments:

Fiona Dempster said...

Simply stunning results Lesley! You must be thrilled. Wishing I was closer for the next set...

Marigold Jam said...

Wow! What a clever lot your students all are! I'd really love to know how to make those books too. If only you weren't quite so far away - mmmm.... do you ever do one day workshops perhaps I could tie one day in with a visit to Brynberian,,,?

Jill said...

While I'm trying to get it together to comment on your previous post, you write another! These look fantastic - congratulations to pupils and teacher! I LOVE your fishes by the way. I'm going ooh and aah as I look at them all.

Jane Housham said...

These are all great. They make me think of miniature art galleries, which I love.

Joanna said...

Wow. Wow. Wow!! These are all fantastic! What a super creative class. I am, as they say in Essex (apparently), well-jel :D

Frances said...

I always enjoy seeing your posts, even if I don't always leave a comment.

However, this post and its predecessor just amaze me with the clever designing and the beauty and variety of the images in these books.

Wow! I would love to have been able to see even a couple of these during their creation process.

Bravo to all involved. xo

Gina said...

These are wonderful Lesley and such variety! They are obviously well taught.

steph said...

These are really amazing. I would love to see them in real life!

Anna said...

What beauitful examples Lesley, I'm so impressed. Using the slide frames and stamps is brilliant! I've only made one flag book, using a postcard cut up, I like the ones with the origami pockets and butterflies very much. Lucky people learning with you.