Thursday, 27 February 2014

Collecting my thoughts

 Last year I wrote about the new library in Birmingham and the Library of Lost Books project. Through the project's  latest blog post I found out about an exhibition right on my doorstep. Taking place on campus in Carmarthen, it finishes tomorrow so I realised I needed to get going or else I'd miss my chance. As it was, it is reading week so the campus was empty and I had the venue all to myself to take it all in. My photos show all the enamel pieces by the students but there were altered books, artists books, jewellery and sketchbooks to enjoy too. I loved the scale of the enamel tags suspended en masse. They made a great impact and it was fascinating to look at the imagery selected. I enjoyed the enamel books too, particularly the beautiful marks made in them. It all made me think about the enamel work of my friend Sue, using enamel in contemporary art pieces. Lots of food for thought about the theme of collecting and hoarding. Intriguing stuff.







4 comments:

Debbie said...

They are truly beautiful, I love the idea of the tags and the books also look amazing.
I love looking around in empty galleries you can immerse yourself in the art without any distractions

Gina said...

What a fascinating exhibition. Would loved to have seen it.

Fiona Dempster said...

From a purely selfish perspective I am so glad you remembered and made it to the gallery! I would have loved to have wandered about beneath those tags, glancing at them, deciphering them - they are truly beautiful And…I love those ceramic books. Stunning. Thanks for sharing!

Anna said...

How lucky you didn't miss that exhibition, it looks wonderful; I love the hanging enamel labels.