I know I have mentioned the local Books for Free shop managed by Healthy Planet more than a few times! I try and promote it to as many people locally as I can, more so after today's visit when I found out that a buyer has finally been found for the old carpet showroom they are based in . This means they are homeless, and with no alternative base available, may disappear in as little as two weeks. It made me browse with a bit more speed and I'd just picked up this old gardening book after a cursory look at the illustrations when a beekeeping book caught my eye. I was so taken with finding it for my husband and talking to the volunteers about the impending trauma of their move or demise that I didn't realise what a gem it was until I reached home.
It is full of beautiful line drawings of both annuals and herbaceous plants........
.... and some of the pages held pressed specimens of leaves and flowers........
...... and a leaflet and admission tickets for one of the properties I was responsible for when I worked for the National Trust locally - albeit a decade earlier than my time ........
....... and at the back was an old birthday card.......
.... with a beautiful sentiment - a heartful of love from Mother. Do they ever give anything less?
And if all that wasn't enough, nestled behind the birthday card was this gorgeous old photo. I'm guessing it's 1920's or so and don't those shy smiles just tug at your heart strings? I wonder if one of them owned the book and received the card from their mother? Who knows?
I only know that this chance find is going to fund lots of ideas for me. I consider myself very lucky to have found both the book and these two lovely girls.
8 comments:
Oh my goodness, that is truly a wonderful find. A sense of a life just hovering out of sight and almost able to be caught. Perhaps you can re-create it. The photo is incredible. But fancy so many things surviving inside the book and not falling out AND it coming into the possession of someone who will truly appreciate it.
Those line drawings are beautiful, I would have picked up the very same book! And still with some of it's previous life attached - how special.
Beautiful and touching Leslie. I went to Colby Woodland Garden in 1994 too. We stayed in Amroth in a lovely house called Mead House, from which there was a public footpath to the gardens. Happy times.
Steph.
A treasure!
So glad it's in your hands.
xox
Oh my... that made me go all tingly. A beautiful find even without all those tantilising memories and stories attached to it.
Sent to you directly I feel, I know you will do them justice. Looking forward to seeing you soon. X
I'm so glad these sweet treasures are now in your safe hands. They are very special.
Shame your Books for Free shop is going - maybe they'll find another venue nearby?
x
It is so good to know that these priceless gems will now be treasured. What a magical find.
Post a Comment