Saturday, 5 April 2014

A bit of nifty scissor work

 I am busy with lots of things at present but ever mindful of preparing well in advance of the book workshops. Over the years I've made so many books that have gone to new homes that I often have to make new ones to illustrate the structures. I'm surrounded by tunnel and star tunnel dummy versions this weekend and have just finished this full version which has turned out to be great fun to make.

A 50p charity shop children's encyclopaedia has provided rich pickings in recent months. I laminated the header pages from each section onto card a few weeks ago and cut them out, more for fun than anything else. Then it dawned on me yesterday that they could fit into a star tunnel format so I made my three layers using other pages from the encyclopaedia for the second layer you can just see into, and finished the final layer with some black card to hand. All in all, something good from a germ of an idea... and perfect to illustrate next week's workshop. These things are so interesting to make. I've had a great time thinking this one out and putting it together. I shall, as ever, share the results of the group on Friday. I think it could be a fascinating day when I see what the others come up with!







6 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Oh how I wish I could come to one/some of your workshops - these stars are brilliant!

Jane Housham said...

Absolutely adorable!

Frances said...

Oh this is a fascinating transformation. I now think how dim I was as I began to read your post ...I really had no clue what your star tunnel was.

Thank you for slowly, gracefully revealing the solution to this mystery.

What a brilliant idea. I will have to come back for another look! xo

Reading Tea Leaves said...

They are great Lesley. I love their 1950s style vibe, thanks to your very astute 50p acquisition!


Gina said...

I just love what you have done with these. You know that you have made my day this morning... I'll have a skip in my step all day!!!

Anna said...

These are such fun!!