Friday, 20 June 2014

All shades of blue

 I delivered a cyanotype workshop today and was delighted with the variety of prints we achieved.In a small room with a darkish room to the side to work in, the group worked on paper and fabric as well as wood to experiment with this beautiful process. They found that the different types of paper created different effects and that the paper needs to be dried between coats to get an even print. Contact with the glass is crucial and accounted for a few white spots but knowledge is power and that mistake won't be made again I know. Different fabrics produced different images and the most crucial thing of all - the exposure to the sun was illustrated clearly. When we started it was overcast so exposure times should have been extended, shortening them when the sun started to break through at lunchtime. They worked solidly all day and must have produced upwards of 40+ prints using natural materials and digital negatives of their photographs. Using a transparency with their own handwriting proved popular as did cyanotyping on different materials like maps and old book pages.

I can't remember who did what so cannot put a name to all of these prints but place them here to enjoy! Thank you for another great day everyone. What shall we do next I wonder?






3 comments:

Gina said...

All beautiful but that last image of the teazle is my favourite,

Fiona Dempster said...

Wow - you are so busy at the moment Lesley - but what a great way to spend time; sharing cyanotypes with enthusiastic and talented students. I do love that last image; but the first image amazes em as well. I'd love to do a cyanotype workshop with you - I have only ever played with the pre-treated paper, and discovering and learning about the process would be great.

Jane Housham said...

Wow, lovely work, especially the first and last. Something else for me to add to my wishlist...