Thursday, 4 September 2014

Out of circulation

 I am not going to start with an apology. I've read too many blogs that people apologise for not posting on and I always want to say 'don't beat yourself up, that's fine, life happens' Some of my absence has been forced on me by a lack of internet access for most of the school holidays. It seems all the extra visitors to my part of the world nicked all my precious little bandwidth and left me with nothing unless I logged on at 3.00am when they were asleep. Some days I cursed them and on others it felt quite wonderful to know I couldn't spend so long online if I couldn't even get online.
 
 Elsewhere this summer my funding finished at the museum but I've carried on one day a week continuing the project as a volunteer because I've grown attached to my 'boys' and want to carry on researching their history. The WW1 centenary commemorations on August 4th brought me to tears and made me more committed than ever to tell their stories.  While I was doing that my own 'boy' was getting stung too often by a particularly aggressive hive he's had this year, resulting in visits to A&E and a suggestion from them that he gives up beekeeping before it gives him up. Sadly he has developed a sensitivity to bee stings and we are awaiting their departure to a new home any day now. We are both saddened by this turn of events but know it makes sense.
 So while we were wondering what else might get thrown our way I got the call to go into hospital to get rid of some leaky valves that have been giving my left leg some real issues this year. That operation happened on Saturday and I am now walking the prescribed 2 miles twice a day wearing those glamorous surgical stockings that you have to wear. To save embarassing looks I am walking round the old abandoned airfield up the road where I see nothing but sheep! I have become obsessed with the barbed wire that is everywhere up there likening it to my tortured veins and another type of circulation issue. I can't wait to get my bandages off but have to wear the stockings for 6 weeks. I am not looking forward to that at all, especially in the warmth of this wonderful 'indian summer' we are having, but needs must.
 So, to take my mind off the discomfort of my leg I am having what I'm calling a 'displacement therapy week'. I am  preparing lots of samples and lesson plans for my bookmaking workshops coming up this term and I've also picked up a needle and thread. I have lots of pieces of hand dyed fabric already torn into strips for a potential book project and I just started to make marks on the first one for something to occupy my hands and my mind in hospital.
 Whenever there's a lull in my energy levels I pick up the  spool of thread and just launch into another piece. I don't think about it beforehand. There's no plan and no rhyme or reason to what I'm stitching........
 ..... until my husband said he'd noticed that in the same way I was linking the barbed wire to my surgery and I was also sewing motifs that looked like veins, cuts and stitches........
I had not realised it but think he is right. Isn't it amazing where our unconscious thoughts lead us? I have enjoyed the sewing without thinking and have actually appreciated being forced to stop and do something else this week. Already I've noticed that the tourists have gone home and my internet signal has returned to normal so I feel I will be drawn back into catching up with all the blogs I've struggled to read this summer. I'm looking forward to that but hope I can also  keep up with my displacement activity sewing as I've really enjoyed doing that too and occupying my hands this way. It's not the best stitching in the world but I think there's a book or something else in what I've started and I want to see it realised. Watch this space.

11 comments:

Anna Mavromatis said...

The photos are great, the subconsciously guided stitches so meaningful!
Wishing you a good and smooth recovery,
xox

Marigold Jam said...

Great to see you back Lesley and when I saw the barbed wire photos I immediately guessed that yu'd be linking them to your poor leg as friends who have had the op tell me that's just what the veins feel like. Love the stitching and can't wait to see the book - you will show us won't you? Maybe white stockings will be the in thing this autumn and then you will be bang on trend as they say!

Gina said...

I have missed your presence here of late so good to see you back, although not such good news about your leg and the bees. Your stitching is beautiful - pure mark making with needle and thread.

Steph said...

Pleased you are back Lesley, and the stitching is great. I hope the leg improves soon, and the weather cools down for you too; support stockings are not ideal in this warm muggy weather.
I'm sorry about your bees, I had read that could happen. I wanted to keep bees for some time, but didn't get round to learning how to do it, which was good because a subsequent bee sting made me really unwell. Still love them though, and sorry the poor thing died. Steph

Gill said...

Glad to see you back Lesley - we've missed you!
I hope your leg continues to progress, at least you've got some good weather for your walks!

Celia Hart said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery from surgery and I love your stitching patterns. I think there must be a connection between your healing body and the repetitive patterns, 6 years ago I was getting over a major op and unable to concentrate on sketching, I embroidered repetitive patterns.

Fiona Dempster said...

What a great catch up Lesley! So glad that all is mending and that your walks are providing inspiration. I love barbed wire - and rusty barbed wire is even better!
It's interesting how the hand stitching comes into its own when one is not quite studio-fit or ready...and I am, like others and yourself, intrigued by the patterns and marks that have emerged. Continue to go well, I'm so sorry about the bees...

Jane Housham said...

Really hope you're not in too much pain and feeling much better now. Terrific markmaking -- could be the start of so much. Thinking of you.

Frances said...

I'll add my comment with a bit of an echo of what others have already written.

First of all, best wishes to you on a steady recovery from your surgery, and congrats on recovery of internet connectivity.

Now...let me tell you how much I like your embroidery photographs. Yes, I can also see the possible inspiration for these stitches, but truly think that had I not known of any "back story" (or is it leg story) I would like the looks of what you're creating very much

xo

Patricia G said...

must admit I had similar thoughts to you husband, looking at these recent posts, but beautiful outcomes! I don't comment often but I do love to read your posts and enjoy seeing your creativity.Thank you for sharing and speedy recovery.

Jennifer said...

Love your stitching and was thinking along the lines of your husband as well. So funny how our minds guide our hands without our realizing. Glad you're on the mend!