Friday, 25 September 2015

More bookmarks?

 I had an e mail today to say that Bookmarks X111, the project I've taken part in this summer, has gone live. If you want to see the whole set of contributors  go here for some real treats.

In my abortive starts on the project I cut 100 heavy cartridge paper pieces that I intended to emboss. Regular visitors will know I never used them. So, they've sat in the drawer, waiting, for an idea to pop into my head. It came last weekend as I was working through some thoughts on another project about spoons and utensils. Just when I thought my cutlery obsession was in remission....... anyway, I've been drawing spoons and on my beach walks picking up flotsam and jetsam that I think I can re-construct into spoon like objects. Sounds weird I know but I'm having great fun.

This week whilst having a clear up I did an inventory of all the rusty bits and pieces I have and then I saw spoon or spoonlike object shapes everywhere. I got those cartridge paper strips out and I've made loads of rusty 'spoons' so far. Some are useless but others have potential - for what though I can't say. I'm still thinking things through but as I've said before, there does not have to be an end result as long as my brain is ticking over.
 Today I wondered what would happen if I put that dodgy old cyanotype solution on top of the rust. I know I should throw the stuff away but I just can't. I slopped it on and didn't even let it dry as I should, putting the pieces out in the sun for just a few minutes. The weather is so warm and the sun so strong this week it just seemed like a good idea. Well, I love the results but doubt I could replicate them. The cartridge has wicked up the solution better in some places than others and I don't know if that's the rust acting as a resist or what. What do I do next with them? I have no idea other than maybe put them in the sketchbook to inform future ideas or maybe incorporate them into a book form.I am keen to add drawing to some of them too but I'm definitely going to try the same two part process on fabric now and I'm following the weather forecast to make sure this weekend's weather will do the job. I'll share the results!


6 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Looks as if you've been having fun. I have no idea about printing and so anything you show us always seems incredibly clever to me. How did you achieve the blue colour? The effects remind me of some indigo dyeing I did years ago when on a C&G course and on which we printed various shapes in brown rusty colours but how I can't for the life of me remember! Hope the weather remains fine for your experiments it is meant to be OK according to the forecasts isn't it?

Marigold Jam said...

Me again! Just to let you know that if you click on the link where it says "Little Riverside" at the beginning of my post it will take you to the web page for the appartment. I found it very comfortable and I am sure you'd like it too.
Thanks for your kind words.

Frances said...

I like the looks of your spoon adventuring very much. How much fun it is to just see where one's imagination and curiosity will lead.

jac said...

I could definitely see these as the start of a book. I really like the effects of the old cyanotype solution with the rust textures

Fiona Dempster said...

I wonder if there is a cure for cutleryphilia? I must admit I first saw keys in the rusty objects (which happen to be one of my little vices - I have drawers of rusty keys!). They really take on a new life, new dimensions with the cyanotype - what a great combo! Now you need to read more books - thankfully not a hardship task!

Gina said...

These are fabulous Lesley, although like Fiona I first saw keys.