Wednesday, 25 November 2015

In out, up down, repeat

 I am enjoying a lull in what has been a hectic few weeks. Last week disappeared in a blur of sampling and preparing for three consecutive days of workshops. First one was my lifelong learning group on Friday  for a day of making books from just one piece of paper utitlising different folding and cutting formats. We employed mark making techniques and collage etc and some of their results were amazing......but I forgot to take the camera....

... then I spent the weekend with the Pembrokeshire Embroiderers Guild making books focussing on stitch techniques they were familiar with for decorative spine work. We worked with buttonhole stitch, running stitch and cross stitch as well as versions of chain stitch culminating in coptic stitch bound books. They worked hard and I did take the camera this time but forgot to actually take any pictures! Seems like I've forgotten how to do this blogging malarkey. They produced some beautiful books, going home with the knowledge now to mix and match the stitches and design their own spine patterns. That was my plan anyway, so I'm hoping to see the responses in a future workshop.

One more bookmaking workshop to go before the end of term and perhaps I might call it a day then and concentrate on my own stuff for next year.

 I'm making a note now though to remember to take the camera so that I can show their output and do their work justice!


4 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Wonderful designs on those spines Lesley. You and indeed they are very clever! Wish I could do that.

Debbie said...

Love those spines, very clever.

Gina said...

I love those stitched spines. Very clever indeed!

Fiona Dempster said...

Glorious work! What lucky students. Just wondering - are the teaspoons and utensils still calling?