Saturday, 27 August 2016

With a plan in mind

 One day in early summer I was clearing my desk out and found a pack of 12 watercolour postcards that I had bought and not used. It was only a couple of days after a meeting to discuss my lifelong learning classes for 2016/2017 and I'd agreed to trial a 5 day mixed media collage course, each one being like a day workshop and running fortnightly up to the end of term.

So, I had an idea to use the cards to try out different collage techniques and asked my friend Sheila if she fancied a bit of summer fun where I'd give her half of the cards and we'd then exchange them via the postman. She was up for it but works a bit slower than me so whilst I've now posted all of mine I'm still waiting for all 6 of hers to wing my way.

As ever, I set myself the parameter that everything I used had to be within arms reach in my little cubbyhole that I laughingly call 'the office'. It certainly challenges the mind when you limit yourself and when I look at all six of them together I wonder if anyone would see the same 'hand' in them all but they illustrate some of the ideas I expect to be teaching this autumn and Sheila will be bringing them to class to be discussed and dissected by my ever faithful group who willingly come to everything I deliver. I hope the fun I had with these small pieces translates over to the bigger picture!






5 comments:

Gina said...

What a fun collection of cards! Not sure I can recognise a common hand as they are quite eclectic. The last one is priceless!

Jill said...

They look great Lesley - yes it's me!! Reminds me of a 'little' project we had a while back. I like your idea of just using what was close at hand, it certainly stretches the creative mind. Have to agree with Gina, they are all individuals.

Frances said...

On a lazy sort of Saturday morning, it was great to see this post and to contemplate getting my own self re-energized by a new project.

Thank you so much! xo

Marigold Jam said...

Like Jill I thought of our project all that time ago. Love the last one which is you?!!

Celia Hart said...

These are great fun, I'm sure your workshops will be inspired. Although they are each very different in content and materials, the designs have no diagonals or curvy lines and the colour schemes are subtle and closely matched - so they have a close harmony.