Thursday, 11 June 2009

Creative people to admire


This is a snapshot of the work of Jennifer Angus. I first came across Jennifer's work about 4 years ago and I've followed it ever since, probably because she combines two things that fascinate me - pattern and insects! Jennifer is interested in the connection between insects and disease and compares the hysteria we have in the Western World about them with the way other cultures hold insects with a measure of respect. She uses the dried bodies of insects to create large scale installations. There is lots to see on her website and she has a great game to play called 'Whack the Weevil'. It's fun but there is a purpose to it - find out what it is here.
Similarly, I've long admired the work of Lisa Kokin who I came across through my interest in book arts. She works in a wide range of media but having a large button collection of my own, I would love to use them as creatively as she does below. There are a lot of button works to see on her website and I've just been left another large number of them by my Great Aunt Lilla so I have to find ways to use them - not that I have ambitions to do something so large or complicated.


I'm thinking of using them more along the lines of Ann Wood, who makes great paper sculptures. These horses are made of cardboard and Ann uses buttons as the hinge mechanisms to hold their legs and body together. She used the horses as a 'loosening up' exercise making and painting one on a daily basis and then gradually creating her stampede by pinning them across the wall. They all have names and some are fabric covered. Basically, it's an anything goes activity. Sounds like my sort of thing!
In fact I found a great word the other day which was 'ongepotchket'. It is a Yiddish word meaning 'thrown together without thought in a slapdash way'. Sums up my approach in a nutshell.


No comments: