Wednesday, 10 June 2009

A Wing and a Prayer

I spent the weekend solar plate printing (disappointing - no sun!) and then visiting family and friends finishing at an Open Studios event in Chetenham yesterday. I came home to piles of post including two copies of old books on moths published in 1907 by F W Warne. Mine were cheap because they have been heavily annotated by the previous owner but I love that about them and it was partially why I chose them. It shows they were owned by someone who was really passionate about moths and these books have been cherished. I will do the same with them.

The latest Butterfly Conservation magazine also features someone passionate about moths. Artist Stephen Livingstone was alarmed by the decline in certain moth species and organised an exhibition with other artists last year called 'A Wing and a Prayer'. Looking at his work shows Stephen is a man after my own heart. He loves moths, making books and rust! What's not to like?


Five Scarlet Tigers

Grey Dagger





Ghost Swifts

I've only picked examples of Stephen's bookworks to show but have a look at his installations, paintings and drawings here.

In the meantime the national 'Garden Moths Count' event takes place in a couple of weeks time from 20 - 28 June when the search will be on for the Peppered Moth and the day flying Scarlet Tiger. If anybody is out there reading this, please have a look here and get involved. Look at how wonderful moths are. I promise you won't be disappointed if you find out more.



No comments: