Sunday, 9 August 2009

Lepidoptera


I have been away from home for a week and the welcoming weather when I arrived home last night just cried out for us to have a moth trap. We place our trap outside of my workshop and nearby is the old herb garden which is overgrown and on our 'to do' list for digging up and moving. It is mainly full of marjorams and lavender and when we got there this morning it was alive with bees and butterflies. They were mostly too quick for me but I did manage to photograph this lovely Small Copper just before it flitted off at speed. I also saw a Painted Lady, Speckled Woods, loads of Meadow Browns and Large Whites. Here, however, are some of the joys of this week's moth trap :

Black Arches

Bloodvein

Peach Blossom

Early Thorn

Brimstone

In the pile of post that had accumulated in my absence was a brochure for this year's Somerset Arts Weeks in September. One of the featured artists will be showing a new body of work entitled 'Moths - those soft fumbling denizens of the dominion of the night'. What a lovely description. This has to be a 'must see' for me doesn't it?

No comments: