I thought that the swallows who nest in our pig cott had a brood which fledged a week or so ago because there have been so many of them flying in and out, but I saw another group of them take to the wing for the first time yesterday morning. I was up very early and saw these young swallows really struggling to get themselves airborne. The effort seemed to exhaust them and they dropped to a perch in the little cherry tree outside my kitchen door where they stayed for about 20 minutes. As swallows rarely perch in trees it was a real treat to watch these babies close up.
They then flew off and disappeared for the main part of the day which is the norm. I always suppose they are out hawking for flies or having a siesta, getting themselves prepared for the 'fly-fest' that always happens in the early evening. Around 6pm they were back, sitting in the same tree and basking in the sunlight. There are four of them in this brood and if the weather stays warm it would not surprise me if the parents don't manage a second lot. Should it rain as it did at the same time last year, then that will not happen.
7 comments:
Lucky,LUCKY you indeed! What a spectacle to watch. I shall be off out in an hour to clean a house which has swallows darting in and out of their stables. I could watch them all day.... but I'd better not!!! :O))))
Lovely and lucky you! That last photo is brilliant kitchen window or not!
Jane
Great photos. I love the way young swallows always look slightly affronted while they've still got their baby beaks. The numerous tits and finches here have just been joined by a family of siskins, which is a rare treat.
What a wonderful set of photographs Lesley and what a privilege to be able to watch them being fed. They must be happy in your garden. The birds are scarcer here in town at the moment - I hope they've moved off to sites with more mature tree. The swifts are still about and the gold finches are still regular visitors.
Great pictures Lesley! I wouldn't have known they were taken through glass.
Dan
-x-
Lesly, what an honour to watch these beautiful birds close up. I have never seen them feeding their young, so lovely to come visit and see these wonderful images. The last one is priceless.......
That last photo-
"who you looking at?"
love
lyn
xxx
Post a Comment