Wednesday, 16 February 2011

All good things come to an end


The current course module that I've been doing with Aberystwyth University came to an end yesterday. After four months of seeing the same group of people week after week it was a bit sad to say goodbye to some of them. Half of us are moving on to the next module which explores abstraction but it was the last time I will see some of the people who have made my Tuesday's such fun to be part of. We all brought our course work to the session plus the work for the self directed project we've been working on. I have done shed loads of work. I had quite a few large pieces including a couple of lengths of wallpaper that I'd printed as well as lots of smaller pieces which I bound together into a few books to make it easier to see it all.

I felt that mine was a bit of a mish mash and not as cohesive as the others but I had some great feedback from them as well as really positive comments from our tutor. The whole thing has been a joy to do and I still have loads of ideas that are still to be realised. Once you get the bit between your teeth some things just go on and on don't they?

I made quite a few collagraph plates which I printed traditionally (as above) but also used to produce blind embossings and rubbing plates. I had great fun and will continue with the theme but don't want to bore you with my spoon obsesssion!
I took my camera with me to record some of the work I've seen develop over the past few months and asked permission to share a couple here on the blog. This drawing above is by Alex and features the beautiful chapel at Mwnt which is just outside of Cardigan where the course is held. I love the graphic simplicity of it and hope she develops this style further.


Alex's friend Kim has used the course to develop her drawing skills as she also develops her repertoire with pottery and ceramics. She brought along these small pots she'd made and decorated. My favourite is the one with the walking figures. There were other things I loved as much by other people but they were my real favourites. It has been a fabulous course to do and we were all so lucky that the group dynamic worked so well. Fingers crossed the next one will be as fulfilling. I hope so.





8 comments:

Sue Brown said...

I want to see more spoons....This work looks great, I really like the custard spoon. Love the wall paper in the collagraph. Perhaps we can have a spoon get together and share our obsession, you wait until you get on to forks!!??*!

Fiona Dempster said...

I really like the two spoons you've shared and like Sue would LOVE to see more spoons! The cross-hatchign and the wallpaper detail are both rather wonderful. It sound like a great experience and so wonderful to share with other explorers.

Marigold Jam said...

Fabulous work - it will be strange to have a different group to work with if/when you go on to the next stage but I am sure you will keep in touch with some of the current lot too. The course sounds hard work but fun. Good luck with the next part.

And yes I'm with the others more spoons would be great - thinking puddings and soup etc here rather than fine art!!

Jane

menopausalmusing said...

Absolutely wonderful to see what you have been up to. Love and the spoon work. Isn't that little pot with the people walking round it just great? Makes you want to keep turning it round and round.............

Chrissie said...

You're a genius, no two ways about it! Can't help thinking that you're bound to work your way through the cutlery drawer, just like Sue says!

Gina said...

I love your print of the spoon on the lace background - gorgeous! Certainly can't have too much of your spoons.

Anna Mavromatis said...

Great prints from both techniques, Lesley! Congratulations!
I wish your following course to be as great and as productive!
xox

Jill said...

More Spoons, more spoons! How could we be bored? Looks like an inspiring course, and there is nothing like working along side others to spark the creative fire.