Wednesday, 5 September 2012

Jolly Holli Days

 Whilst every day feels like a holiday for me, my other half is not so lucky, slaving away at the coal face week after week. Before the oil refinery where he works shuts down for it's annual spruce up (which takes months and involves lots of overtime where I rarely see him) he's having a last chance holiday and we are going to make the most of this mini Indian Summer we seem to be blessed with. We started days ago with a visit to St Davids where I've been working on a project about the cathedral for a while. I wanted to investigate something so my husband tagged along with me and we made a real day of it, catching an exhibition in the National Parks Visitor Centre of John Piper's drawings and paintings of the' Mountains of Wales' at the same time. In truth, although I am a huge John Piper fan, I found some of the drawings too dark for my liking, preferring to enjoy instead these posters that the Pembrokeshire National Park have produced this summer to celebrate their 60th anniversary.

 There are about 6 of them but these are my particular favourites, and they have been promoted quite heavily locally. They are so reminiscent of those wonderful 1930's holiday posters. After a number of requests, some very large scale versions have been sent out to the troops in Afghanistan as reminders of home.A quick visit to the website on the postcards will display all of them.
The posters are a reminder of that fact that we live in a tourist area so we've been visiting and re-visiting local places as if we were re-accquainting ourselves with them. This afternoon we went westward to Little Haven where I took loads of photos of the geological features. It is a gorgeous place, no more than a 30 minute drive from home, yet I haven't been here for about 8 or 9 years. I think I should be ashamed as I am forever bleating on to people about valuing the landscape and features on their own doorstep. There were a few visitors still around but up on the Point where we were sat, we were alone, basking in the sun and looking out to the islands listening to nothing but the sound of the sea.I was reminded of a quote about Pembrokeshire that I read recently, attributed to a well known local poet named Waldo Williams :

'..... the tiny islands of the sea are a silver web on its edge. Long singing comes there and the waves' dance on the fringes of the land.....'

We're off to the national museum at St Fagans tomorrow where I'm booked into a specialist tour of their unseen textile collections, one of those Heritage Open Days events. We're not sure whether to travel on from there to somewhere else or head back home and keep enjoying what's on our doorstep. As long as this sunshine lasts of course, anywhere looks wonderful. We shall see what we shall see.

7 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Lovely post Lesley - you are right about there being so much worth seeing right on our doorsteps especially for those of us who live in "tourist areas"! Love the puffin postcard - am off to check out the website. Lovely photo of Little Haven. I know just how beautiful your area is at any time of year but with the sun shining and the sea turquoise it's stunning! Hope Roy enjoys his break before the annual overtime stint!

Things Hand Made said...

Those postcards are wonderfully evocotive. Enjoy you days exploring.

Jane Housham said...

You Romantic, you! You know how much I love your home patch and envy your living there. I think holidays at home (or thereabouts) are a great idea.

menopausalmusing said...

Hope you had a wonderful time. I have only been to St Fagans once and loved it. Enjoy this wonderful weather both of you.

Jill said...

Beautiful pictures Lesley, I love the colours especially the puffin one, which you can see reflected in your photograph. Have a wonderful break, I'm sure yo will make the most of it, and I'm looking forward to finding out what treasures you have unearthed.

Sophie Munns said...

"long singing comes there...'
how beautiful Lesley!
As are all the places you speak of and the views. I can see the appeal of the posters and the nostalgia.It certainly makes me wish t go exploring there!
Gosh your husbands job sounds arduous...and how lovely you are getting out ahead of that. Your projects sound fascinating... one could no doubt do a lot of exploring where you are Lesley!!
cheerio,
S

Reading Tea Leaves said...

I hope you and your husband enjoyed your holiday 'home from home' Lesley. It's true, often the most special and memorable days are those we spend close to home and in places that our wanderlust often keeps us from further exploration.

I love old travel posters and indeed have a few treasured ones of my own, these new ones for Pembrokeshire are so colourful and evocative but I have to say your photo is simply beautiful! I've mentioned before on your blog that I really must visit your neck of the woods soon.

Off now to take a look at your previous post as I glimpsed some rather lovely bird illustrations.

Jeanne
x