Sunday, 30 September 2012

Woodland Walking

 A couple of miles up the road are two large woodland spaces managed by the Forestry Commission and the National Park. Yesterday's glorious weather inspired us to get out for a few hours walking the trails within them. It's a huge area and we only saw three or four other people, one of whom stopped and asked me if I was doing an 'autumn' project. I was carrying broken larch twigs and cones and some fallen oak leaves. She was doing the same. She was only about five years old but the 50+ years age gap between us was immaterial as we were both inspired by the shapes of the trees and the beginnings of the autumn shades. It reminded me of a quote I found recently. Sadly I cannot remember the blog I found it on so cannot attribute it other than to say these are the words of 18th century visionary poet William Blake:

"The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see nature all ridicule and deformity and some scarcely see nature at all, but to the eyes of the man of imagination, nature is imagination itself "









11 comments:

Patricia G said...

Great photos! How lucky we are, we who see and enjoy nature.

Marigold Jam said...

Lovely photos Lesley. That one with the ivy growing up the tree trunk took me back to my C&G days when I made a braided belt inspired by just such ivy stems twisting up a tree trunk! I love that Nature makes the whole world kin as with the little girl and that Blake quote is so true. Wish I could have come with you on that walk!

Gill said...

Great photos Lesley! I adore trees - at the moment our village is trying to stop the church chopping down a beautiful line of lime trees and replace them with hawthorn!!!

Kitsch and Curious said...

Trees are ace!!!

Gina said...

Those really are some glorious trees. I love the little girl question about an autumn project - how delightful.

Anna Mavromatis said...

What a beautiful place to welcome autumn;
your gorgeous images echo William Blake's words perfectly!

menopausalmusing said...

Wonderful to be thought of equal by a five year old - they have no boundaries and it's great, isn't it? Lovely shots on what has been a weekend of great weather.

Fiona Dempster said...

I think nature reminds us to breathe doesn't she? I can feel the clean and soft air filling my lungs even as I gaze at these images. Perfect days...

Wendy Rhodes said...

Looks like my kind of walk, I'll add the Blake quote to my inspiration bank. Thank you

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Beautiful!

I haven't been on a woodland walk for ages Lesley. Your photos have inspired me to don my walking boots.

Jeanne
x

Sophie Munns said...

So wish I could take q walk with you Lesley .... such wonderful trees and that opening shot of the lane... heaven!