Tuesday, 9 April 2013

What happens if ...

 My friend Sheila came over last week so that I could show her how to do gum arabic transfers, taught to me by my chum Sue. The whole idea is to use a crisp black and white image produced on a photocopier. This becomes the printing plate when gum arabic is used to bond the oil based ink to the black areas of the image. Sheila used one colour and placed her images on pages that may turn into a book. It was great to see her excitement of something new.

After she left I looked through my stack of photocopies and found a set from a photo I took at the Natural History Museum in Oxford. I'd already split the image into CMYK separations and photocopied each one in black and white. I've never tried printing more than one colour before but I had enjoyed seeing her excitement of the process so tried a four colour print the next day, starting with the yellow and then overprinting with magenta (above) trying to get the registration spot on. This was quite tricky as my photocopy was large and when you're wrestling with a wet piece of paper it goes where it wants to go and not always where you want it to.
 I then added the cyan layer but did not bother to add the black final layer as it was getting messy. There is a vague sense of a coloured image but too much ink was absorbed into the white areas and it was not clear enough for me. This also happened to the prints I did on a workshop I ran last year and it has dawned on me that perhaps the photocopying paper is too thin, hence the way it sucks up ink and is reluctant to release it. All my photocopying is done at the local library so it could be something about the paper quality they use. I'm trying out a couple of other sources this week to see if the print quality improves. I am definitely going to

                                      
be doing some more four colour trials. In the past couple of months I have not posted much about things I am making, mainly because I am just enjoying 'doing' things without a plan. I've been making a stained glass panel (a disaster)and doing lots of painting for collage work and getting on with print sampling, practising my drypoint etching skills and just having fun finding my own rhythm. I made this shoe plate weeks ago and did a quick print on an old book page. Now I've made a pair of them to work with and their small size reminded me that I was going to suggest some sort of print exchange this Spring. I was thinking if enough people were interested it would be good to make a small print, edition it and everyone gets a copy of everyone else's print. I like the idea of the challenge but with no pressure and done in any print medium. If anyone else is interested just leave a comment or e mail and let me know if the idea appeals. No worries if not, I am happy pottering in my shed just thinking 'what if I do that....'

14 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Love the beetles in all their glory Lesley. I wish I could say I'd join in with the exchange as the postcard swap project was great fun but I don't think my printing skills would match up unless a potato print would count!!

Jane Housham said...

I absolutely love your gum arabic separations. This appeals to me so much as a technique. I really need to get my head around it and have a go.
I'm thinking I would like to join in with a print swap because I found the postcard swap such a good stimulus. But I'm not set up to do 'real' printing, so mine would have to be a digital print (of some sort -- interesting hopefully). I absolutely won't mind if that excludes me from the swap.

Gina said...

I rather like the slightly out of register effect you've got with your print Lesley. I have very limited printing experience but I do rather like the idea of your collaborative project... count me in!

jac said...

Funnily enough I've just been experimenting with gum arabic separations as well. I'd love to be included in a print exchange

Sue Brown said...

I like the idea of a print exchange...when do we start?
Great to see you having a go at the gum Arabic colour separation, I think the haze of colour adds to the effect.

XX

Unknown said...

I love the effect the gum arabic separations, I have done very little printing, but it is something I would like to try more of, I would like to be included in the exchange.

Jee said...

This sounds like a great idea, but i don't think I can get myself set up for printing at the moment. Love to see what everyone comes up with though.

Jill said...

Love the reconstructed deconstructed beetles Lesley. I'm sure I could fit in some sort of print making, and would love to join in an exchange.

Fiona Dempster said...

I love that last image Lesley - the shoe on the old book page. Even from a distance it seems somewhat poignant. And I am intrigued by the gum arabic transfer with coloured inks - my brain turned into spaghetti trying to imagine what was what in that process. The idea of an exchange is very tempting - just not sure yet, will be in touch.

steph said...

Lesley, I must say I find that beetle image very exciting, and I like the way you are approaching your work in a relaxed but focussed way; finding a rhythm is a compelling idea; you have really made me think about my working methods, which are far from rhythmic at the moment, so thank you. I want to see some images of your shed, please!

Clive Hicks-Jenkins said...

Interesting to see the gum arabic technique mentioned here. Such a useful material, as back in the 70s I also used it to make crackle paint effects on old pine furniture!

Love your beetle colour separations, Lesley. You've been 'pottering' to great effect.

I wish I could say I'd take part in your print edition because it's a bang-on idea, but I'm in the middle of two theatre projects which are all-consuming, and I'd worry about letting you down as every day brings new demands. But I'll watch with great interest.

Patricia G said...

Love those bugs! I like a little off register, it seems to help the colours sing.
Not sure my single colour linocut efforts would qualify but great idea.

Anna said...

I also love the beetles, super colours and yes, would like to join the print idea.

dinahmow said...

Hello, Lesley.
Your glass panel looks interesting.I think we still have some bits of glass left from a venture into stained glass, years ago.
I read on Jac's blog that you are running an exchange. If you don't have a tight deadline I'd be interested (I'll be travelling til end of June), but will be interested in others' work even if I'm too late to be in.