I've just spent the weekend in Stroud on a two day workshop organised as part of the annual textile festival. I loved the sound of 'Textural Play' when I saw the programme but did not know the artist, Jilly Morris. One look at her website and I was hooked and I have now had the joy of working with this generous spirited, giving, artist. She is an amazing woman with a childlike wonder in the beauty of marks. With a group of nine of us she shared her tools, her techniques, her philosophies, her ideas and her enthusiasms. It was one of the most enjoyable workshops I have ever attended and the group mix was perfect too. There was real synergy between us with everyone sharing thoughts and materials.
Although two of the girls had to leave early, Jilly asked the rest of us to work collaboratively after lunch yesterday. So we each started a piece and then passed it on, working quickly and intuitively, with Jilly joining in too. These are the photos of what we pinned on the board afterwards. I think I should have got a bit closer to take them but I hope the show the essence of the pieces. Thanks to Amerjit, Jeannette, Patricia, Liz, Sue, Jilly and Charlie for allowing me to post our work.
I have now got to think through my samples - I have lots of them! There were so many I even went into default mode and made a couple of sample books just to keep them together but the best book of the weekend was Jilly's sample book. It was the sort of thing you'd like to walk out with and it inspired us all. It made me realise how much more effective a learning tool they are when samples are gathered together. I do know that of course but Jilly's book really brought it home.
We were surrounded by materials Jilly had brought in to stimulate us to play and we all left with papers that she gave us to continue to play with. I realised over the two days that I am a 'serial polisher'. Maybe it comes from wiping printing plates but every opportunity that came to get out the beeswax and polish something, I took it. Shame it doesn't translate to the furniture at home. As ever, I have a head full of ideas, especially about translating marks onto glass or into print. If you ever get the chance to see this lady's work, please do. Her work is stunning and she is a diamond.
6 comments:
Looks like wonderful walk on the wild side! Love how those sampler books and collaborative pieces turned out - so much lovely interesting-ness about them.
What fun! Sounds wonderful.
That looks like loads of fun, wish I'd been there, though I was lucky enough to get on the Alice Fox workshop.
I am soooo jealous I wish I could have gone on it. You have created some great things. Her work in the museum in stroud is just perfect.
Fantastic, I am going to have to come and see these in the flesh.
These samples look stunning. What a fabulous workshop... I'm off to check out Jilly's work!
Post a Comment