Friday, 23 May 2014

Tragedy

News of the fire today that has decimated this iconic building is both shocking and unreal. The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) are calling it an 'international tragedy'. It certainly feels that way to me. My heart goes out to the students who have lost four years of work in the flames and anyone who has ever been inspired by Charles Rennie Mackintosh and his legacy will be intensely saddened by this day.

8 comments:

Gill said...

I've just seen this on the news - what a terrible thing to have happened

thrift deluxe said...

It's awful, what a great loss.

Celia Hart said...

I could hardly believe the news that I saw breaking on Twitter at lunch time. What a tragic loss, even if it is renovated and rebuilt, it will never be the original.

I only visited once and couldn't see most of the interior as exams were in progress.

As you said - I am heartbroken for the students who were putting the finishing touches to their degree shows.

Carol Rigby said...

I was so saddened by the news. As Celia says, you can never replace the original interior which will be lost forever. The latest news I heard is that it could have been a lot worse, so hopefully a lot of the treasures have been saved. My heart, too goes out to the students who have lost all their hard work.

Debbie said...

Yes this is tragic for the students and for anybody who admires architecture and interiors. Irreplaceable and such a beautiful building.

Frances said...

This news even reached us over here in the States. I could not believe my ears had heard the announcer correctly.

Yes, a tragedy. I definitely have strong memories of visiting this incredible building ... walking up a steep hill to reach its beauty.

Fiona Dempster said...

I saw the thumbnail a day or so ago and thought goody - then read the news and went in search. What a tragedy - it is a remarkably special place and I hope they have saved much of it.

Gina said...

Awful news. So sad.