Whilst trying to catch up with my blog reading it becomes ever more apparent that the gap between my own posts is getting ever wider. So, this is a whistle stop recap of the past month or so and then I hope to get back into the rhythm of recording things, as much for my own benefit as anyone kind enough to be reading this. As I get older I can remember where I was in 1966 when England won the World Cup but I'm hard pushed to remember where I was the day before yesterday! I know I am not alone in that but some days it feels like it, therefore I need my blog as a visual diary.
So, as we enjoy the start of some warmth with the weather, I'm happy to say we are with bees again.We've got two colonies from two sources and they are so different. One hive is made up of quite small bees who are very docile and gentle. The other hive has larger bees who are a bit more active and more assertive , so we are hoping they will accumulate and thrive this summer. Early signs are looking good.
On the creative front I have continued to explore glass, taking advantage of an advanced evening class type arrangement with Chris, my glass guru. The others all made large panels but I spent all my time making marks and painting on the glass. I have a ton of pieces ready to make into small collage panels and there is a glass book nearing completion. I am rather in love with the way it reveals images between the pages but will wait to photograph it properly when all the soldering is done.
I'm still planning and running book and print workshops and need to sort out the plans for the cyanotype day next month. I also travelled to Cheltenham this week to try out kitchen litho printing with my friend Sue. As far as I'm concerned it was a disaster. She had one success but we could not replicate it. She's written about it here if you want to know more. As for me, I am mentally parking that process forever, but will definitely try another she introduced me to. All printmakers please take a look at her post for transferring with acetone onto metal with photocopies prior to etching. Surely I can make that work?
Life is busier because I've also started a job on three days of the week. It lasts until the end of July and I'm leading a small project at the museum in Tenby researching all the men (over 500 of them) who volunteered for the Great War. It is both fascinating, heart breaking and humbling to read about these men . The museum has access to great archive letters which tug at your heart strings and when I come across photographs of serious looking, but very, very young men, I have to take a moment to gather my thoughts. As things develop I'll share some of the stories. Some will inspire and others will make you want to weep but I am finding the whole process all encompassing so no surprise that I am absent from this blog so much!
In trying to maintain some sense of routine we've got back into the cycle of moth trapping too. I loaned the trap out for a month and think I may have got someone else hooked on these beautiful creatures. As its return yesterday coincided with a hike in temperature we had to have a go last night. These are just a sample of the haul. I think there were about 70 moths which a bit low for this time of year. Let's hope they gather momentum as the weather improves.
So, there's lots happening and I hope to get back in the groove soon. Keep well everyone and enjoy everything as Spring moves into Summer.
11 comments:
What an interesting catch-up post! So many goodies to read about.
Your stained glass collage panels are beautiful. The glass book sounds fascinating!
The moth photos are beautiful. Have you seen the textile moths made by Mister Finch? They are stunning. An example can be seen here, http://www.mister-finch.com/portfolio/#jp-carousel-280
I am reading The Behaviour of Moths by Poppy Adams at the moment (you've probably read it ages ago, it's been out a while), and apart from the storyline, which I'm enjoying, I'm also learning a lot about moths. Really interesting!
Wishing your bees a happy and healthy summer!
I would love to have a moth trap - I must talk to my husband about making one!
My sister and I were having a coffee at Starbucks,sitting out in the sunshine when I saw a poplar hawkmoth on the wall, wings still crumpled -fabulous!
That was a lovely catch up Lesley. So glad you have some more bees. I hope they gather strength and sustenance in this nice warm weather, which is encouraging.
Your job at Tenby museum sounds fascinating. How did you hear about it? I look forward to reading some of their stories.
The moth photos are of course stunning! What incredible little creatures they are.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Jeanne
xx
Great moths...we will crack Kitchen Litho, I promise. Thanks for a lovely day. XX
Good to see you back and no wonder you haven't had much time to blog! Those moths are beautiful especially the last one which I thought was a little bat at first glance! Hope the bees do well and your glass looks stunning. I did enjoy my time in your neck of the woods and was lucky with the weather too with picnic lunches and gardens visited as well as a short walk from Newport along the coast path. Pity we couldn't meet up this time.
I enjoyed catching up with your news - the glass book sounds intriguing so I can't wait to see it.
Aren't bees amazing? We don't have our own hives but we did have 2 swarms arrive in our garden last week. Both were collected by a local beekeeper who is so knowledgeable about bees - and supplies us with delicious honey.
So much to catch up on - I feel full! I love that the bees are back and happy, and it's heartening to hear that your kitchen lithography didn't work out either. We tried last year and it was beyond hopeless. You and Sue are both experienced and skilled printmakers and if you can't make it work, then I don't feel so bad! Happy moth days to you as well.
You go from strength to strength. The glass book sounds tantalising........
Hope the bees flourish, we have been commenting that we haven't had a year for blossom on fruit trees like this one, it has been fabulous.
Catching up for me too. How exciting. Missed your last couple of posts on the book making and Sue in Period Living, must look for a copy. Your glass is marvellous and worth waiting for. You have been very busy and it's no wonder your posts are less frequent. Looking forward to the next one whenever that might be.
Lovely post Lesley, really enjoyed the moth images. The Behaviour of Moths is a very good book, I read it last year, and like Joanna learned a lot about moths.
Keep on posting about those bees and your new job. We have a bee nest in our garden, in an old bird box, I feel quite privileged. They don't seem to mind me putting the washing out around them, and I always say hello, and offer a few bits of conversation; a beekeeper friend says you should always speak to your bees. Steph.
I seem to be playing catch up too. Lovely to read what you've been doing.
Post a Comment