Tuesday, 25 August 2015

Drawing a line under it

 There are times when I'm sat at my desk where I challenge myself to make something from the items that are within my reach, just for the fun of it. It could be a collage, a book or a print usually. The other day I was determined to put that series of simple collagraph plate shapes to bed once and for all but as I sat at the desk I picked up a stack of 4 inch square mat board pieces. Now, I'd cut them for a sample of a stiff leaf binding that I was making and they were left over so I browsed the mess that is my desk and also eyed the sheets of ring re-inforcers and sticky labels stacked there too.

The quickest idea is usually the one that's uppermost in your mind and of course,that's the tea bowl/pot shape in my case, so I made another two collagraph plates.  I can't look at these subsequent prints without knowing the circular motifs are those ring re-inforcers but what I enjoyed most was using the shiny sheet that's left when the rings are removed. I used it as a background to the print above and the finish repelled the shellac sealer and gave me some interesting effects when viscosity inked. It seemed to pool in the unseen holes and almost looks like a deconstructed screen printing effect to me.



After making these two plates enough really is enough and I need to move on. Other things are in my head and gestating on the printmaking front. I recently made these two prints exploring copper sulphate etching and they serve to show that I obviously have a bit of a 'circle' thing going on whether it comes from a manufactured shape or via my own hand. I have some ideas to develop my mark making repertoire on aluminium and I've been playing with some unusual resists which I'll share another time.

I also spent a great day last week with my friend Sue working on a collagraph plate that is intended as a gift for someone. It's under wraps at present in case she reads this blog although that's unlikely.... but it's also under wraps because I can't get it to look how I want it to. I'm going to try printing it again tomorrow and seeing how to improve it. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Gina said...

Lovely results Lesley. I really like the prints from the reinforcer rings. I bet you had a fabulous day with Sue... Just loved her work at Art in Action.

Patricia G said...

these are great! bold pattern and I like your use of colour. thank you for sharing :)

Frances said...

Each of these images appeals to my eye. Circles within circles can remind us of many things, but your manipulations of the origins of the pictures has truly elevated the mix.

Inspiring! xo

Sue Brown said...

What do you mean incase, I always read your blog, I enjoy your posts. Lovely images, I like what you do when you experiment...can't wait to see what you have done with the 'play-day' piece. XX

Jill said...

Just playing catch up Lesley and stopping off where something especially catches my eye. You have some lovely work. I must visit more often. xx