Monday, 21 December 2015

Keeping Christmas

 I have written on this blog before about the skills of Charles Keeping, one of my all time favourite illustrators, so this is a good opportunity to use one of his magical books to spread the joy of the season.
Back in 1967 Charles Keeping won the Kate Greenaway Medal for children's book illustrating. The BBC then asked him to produce the stills for the Christmas morning edition of Play School in 1968, subsequently published in book format. The reader that day was the late Roy Castle and although I was 14 at the time, he is a performer I remember well from my childhood, mainly for his long running Record Breakers shows.

I remember picking this book up for pence in a charity shop and thinking how lucky I was to find another Keeping jewel. Look at his wonderful graphic marks and composition. The photo below is of the end pages from the book and the others are a selection hopefully showing the energy and verve of his drawing. I think the cover showing a breast feeding Mary was definitely ahead of its time.

Taking the book off the shelf is as near as I've got to Christmas so far this year although I made a few cards and  I did lug that turkey home from the shops this morning so something is happening! The book reminds me that is a time for children and a time for reflection. As I write this we are sat through yet more rain and yet more high winds, not exactly the weather I'd have wished for to celebrate the Winter Solstice. I'd have liked a crisp cold snap of weather to make it feel like Christmas just like when I was a lass. Still, we live with what we're given and I have a lot to be thankful for, so let me just say Merry Christmas to anyone reading this. Best wishes for the season and the year ahead.







8 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

I don't think I have come across this illustrator - my loss by the look of it! You are ahead of the game compared with me regarding the festivities but as you say it is a time for children (none here) and for reflection - I have time for that just now as I can't do a lot just now as we are having a new boiler installed and I have no water, can't get in the kitchen and it's chilly here so am closeted in my sewing room which is small enough to heat with a little electric heater and am busy sorting out my "stuff" and trying to whittle it all down and in the meantime thinking of this and that!
Have a lovely Christmas and who knows when we least expect it we might get some frost!

Jill said...

I took Charles Keeping's "Joseph's Yard" into my first class room, I loved the illustrations and the philosophy of the story that for something to flourish you must be prepared to share it. But it did not go down well with the kids of the tough council estate where I worked, much to my disappointment (that may have been down to my undeveloped story telling skills too).. However it was on on my classroom book shelves for years until it fell apart. His style was challenging, and certainly distinctive and ground breaking in the late 60s and 70s - a touch of the psychedelic.

Steph said...

Love Charles Keeping, thanks for sharing this book, I haven't seen it before. Have a good festive season. Frost was promised for Christmas Day last night on Countryfile, wouldn't that be lovely? I've had enough of rain. Steph.

Debbie said...

He is one of my favourite illustrators, haven't come across this one though. Jacob's yard was the inspiration for a tapestry I did a few years ago.

Charlton Stitcher said...

These illustrations are beautiful. Like Marigold Jam above, Charles keeping is new to me. Very many thanks for the introduction.
I've come to your blog via that of Sue Brown. I have a feeling I'll be back!

Celia Hart said...

Those illustrations are so beautiful, I pop back to have a closer look.
But now I have to drive across the agents to pick up my Mum and call at a farm on the way home to collect the Turkey. It's a glorious sunny day for once!

Whatever the weather, wishing you a peaceful and happy Christmas
x

Unknown said...

They are fabulous! There is an amazing combination of colors and lines. You don't stop to surprise me. The covers are also very beautiful!
Merry Christmas,
Jess
Commented on How to Write Well at freelancehouse.co.uk

Gina said...

What fabulous illustrations Lesley. I hope you had a good Christmas Lesley.