I become even more obsessed with trees now. I love their silhouettes and will make special detours when I'm out and about to see my favourites before they change in the Spring. My most favourite tree of all is the large ash tree at the house end of my garden and I've lost count of how many photographs I've taken of it over the years. I stand there most afternoons when it's not raining and watch the starlings fly over. There seem to be thousands of birds and you can almost time your watch by them as they choose the same time to fly past every day. A winter treat that never palls. Even better when smaller groups appear during the day and decide our ash tree makes a great stopping off point. It can get pretty noisy but I love it all.
On the few dry days we've had since the New Year we've managed to get out and about walking. The beach walks have been great but this week we had two consecutive dryish days with some intermittent sunshine so we managed to get down to our local woodland for a couple of really long walks. Recent winds have brought down trees and some pathways were blocked. At one point we had to limbo under fallen trees to keep going. We were there on our own on Friday and the only person we met was the ranger from National Resources Wales who was surveying the woods to establish what rain damage there was to remedy. The woods can be packed when there are lots of visitors and tourists around so to be there on our own was magical.
I couldn't resist the skyline but became entranced by the reflections of the trees in the numerous puddles. This one below was small but the water was so clear and the reflection quite beautiful. It's a shame I can be seen leaning over it with my camera but the next one shows that all of a sudden it started to rain and the reflections disappeared, as did we, trying to get a bit of shelter!
Whilst we got soaked by yet more rain it was wonderful to have the freedom to just be outdoors. Since then the weather has returned to persistent showers and winds. It reminds me of a poem I found only recently by Scottish poet, Norman Bissell, who I need to find out more about as he seems to say what I think. His words are a perfect fit for how this year has started :
Sometimes here
it's hard to tell
the sound of the wind
from the sound of the waves.
Or the sound of the waves
from the sound of the rain.
Or the sound of the wind,
and the waves and the rain
from the sound of my breath.



6 comments:
Lovely images. Lovely narrative. Lovely poem. Happy New Year Lesley!!
Lovely - I too had a walk in the woods all on my own - so muddy underfoot even the dog walkers weren't in evidence! Birds were singing fit to bust and the sun was shining absolute heaven. Glad I grabbed the moment though as after lunch when I had thought to go it was raining again! Loved your reflections in the puddles and the poem too.
Another lovely blog post. I do so enjoy reading them. Your photos are wonderful particularly the reflection in the puddle. You've certainly got a good eye, most of us look at eye level and never think to look up. Once back on the boat I'll have to rethink how I use my camera and perhaps download the manual. I wish I could be as good as you. Keep up the good work with the blog. Let's hope the weather improves so you can enjoy some more walks.
Judith
I love the photos of the reflections in the puddles. There seem to have been lots of starlings around here lately... Most days we've witnessed amazing murmurations
there is a Maurice Escher engraving of reflections in a woodland puddle - I used to visit the art gallery each week on my way home to linger, at that puddle.
The reflections in the puddles are beautiful, imagine them printed onto silk - wouldn't that make a beautiful dress!
I'm with you about loving winter, I find it inspires my work for the rest of the year. The very mild weather (up to yesterday) with the hawthorn coming into leaf AND flower as well as the Cherry Plums, has put me out of kilter, as if a season has been missed.
Post a Comment