Sunday, 24 January 2016

Quick collagraph

 I went to Cheltenham yesterday to join a one day workshop led by my lovely chum Sue Brown. It was entitled 'Quick Collagraph' and I just felt that,despite supposedly knowing what I'm doing, that a day spent with other printmakers would kick start me into action for 2016.

I'd made a couple of simple plates at home but then threw the kitchen sink of techniques at them whilst I was there adding stuff like reinforcing rings  and masking tape etc. None of the plates were sealed so the ink did not get cleaned off between printing meaning we obtained interesting tones with each subsequent pull. We also played with chine collee techniques and whilst I love the quick prints I produced, as ever, I love the plate itself. How it turned out purple , blue and brown is just lovely.
 The other girls on the course said I could post some of their photos too:




You can see that for a small group we were very productive. Some were new to collagraph and you could tell they'd caught the bug by the end of the day. I spent my long car journey home full of enthusiasm and planning some new plates and some future workshops to combine books and print.

Sue and I are going to agree a date soon for me to run a book making workshop at her space at The Yard. This will be in the autumn in Cheltenham so if anyone is interested in being kept updated let me know or sign up for Sue's newsletter on her blog. There are lots of lovely courses coming up in 2016 and the atmosphere created there is fabulous. I met a really great crowd of people yesterday and now I'm raring to get to that press of mine... quick...

11 comments:

Gina said...

I really like your print Lesley and like you, especially love the plate. I wish I lived nearer!

Sue Brown said...

It was a pleasure to have you in the group and you made great prints. Thank you for posting this as I failed to have my camera!! See you soon and lets book that autumn date soon!! XX

Celia Hart said...

What an interesting creative day. I love the textures and patterns you've created.

Gill said...

What fun you all had!
I'd love to join a book making course with you in the Autumn - please keep me posted!

Frances said...

Everything that you've shown and told in this post has made me wish I could have attended that course.

Thank you for helping to keep my printmaking spirit aglow.

xo

Charlton Stitcher said...

I'm currently on Sue's 10 week intaglio course - new stuff for me - but I'm learning a huge amount thanks to Sue's patience with my muddled approach to things! A book making course with you sounds most inviting. Do keep me informed (my email address is available on my blog profile).

viel-krempel said...

Gorgeous prints...that course must have been inspiring.
Annette

Little Bird said...

Hi Lesley, Happy New Year from downunder! Love the prints... I'm finishing my studies next week and soon will be going down to 4 days a week at work, so I'm hoping to get back into my studio, polish up my press and get printing again. Oh, and also resurface to look at what all my printmaking friends are up to :-) Sara

Steph said...

Really impressive work.
Steph.

Fiona Dempster said...

Just so so lovely Lesley - feels like just the thing I need right now to find my way back to making. Oh to be able to play with you and Sue! Fabulous!

Anna said...

Lovely work, I love collagraphs, must make time to do some.
I love the print you took, but like you I always love the block!