Thursday, 15 July 2010

Illustration Magazine


I tried to alter the comments setting on Blogger the other day and I seem to have cut people off in their prime. I will resolve this but just quickly wanted to respond to the comments that Cathy and Jane both made yesterday about the work of Emanuele Luzatti and its similarity to Brian Wildsmith. Quite by coincidence I happen to have recently received my latest copy of Illustration magazine, complete with a major article about this wonderful artist, so thought I would quickly mention it.
If you are interested in book illustrators then please take a look at the magazine here. I've subscribed for a few years and it is always a fascinating read looking at famous past and contemporary artists. The latest edition also has pictures of the scrapbooks of the talented Edward Bawden, one of my very favourite artists ever, plus up to date work from Sarah Young and Jonny Hannah. I picked out the picture above by Brian Wildsmith. It does indeed have a strong resemblance to the style of yesterday's post. Well spotted girls!

7 comments:

menopausalmusing said...

And how funny that you should use Brian Wildsmith's illustration of owls, because we have Tawny Owls here and I am loving being able to get to within about 20 feet of them some days. Sometimes we get as many as four on our tv ariel too! Our cat is being given a hard time by them as they dive bomb him and he "careers" up the garden, ears back, flat to his head!!! :O)))) I was able to look at two owls side by side in next door's apple tree the other day (mid afternoon) and one had a mouse in its beak!

Thanks for the link to the magazine!

Chrissie said...

Aha, I think I've just worked out why I gave up trying to leave a comment .... Anyway, off to investigate your latest great link!

Sue Brown said...

I have the book with the owls in, I have a couple of Wildsmiths books, I just love the way he uses mixed media. Thankyou for reminding me of him. XX

Jill said...

Hi Lesley, just posted a long comment and got a strange error message, so I will try again. (There is no comment box on your latest post.) I loved Brian Wildsmith books when teaching little 'uns, but sadly pressures of the curriculum seemed to take away all the time for lingering over passions in latter years. (I'll get off that hobby-horse)
Loved the strange inventions and spent a VERY curious half-an-hour at Bored Panda.com :)

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Hello Lesley, I am commenting on this post for your last post (if you know what I mean!) The inventions look very strange! I like the type of illustrations shown in this post ... nice and bright and unusual. I hope you are keeping well and enjoying the summer months. Thank you for your last comment on my blog ... I have now done a post about the shoe art.
Lucy xxxxx

Ticking Stripes said...

I'm commenting on the inventions post as it doesn't seem to have a comments box. Just love those amazing inventions. I need one for condensation on my specs when I open the oven door, and wipers for them when its raining!

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Hello, It is me again! I went to Leighton Moss RSPB reserve yesterday!
Saw lots of water birds and Red Deer!!
Lucy xxxxx