Saturday, 11 September 2010

What's in a name...


Over at Purple Podded Peas, Celia has been sharing the early Penguin and Pelican books she has recently found. When I was clearing some shelves yesterday in preparation for some decorating I came across this old copy of Tree Fruit Growing from the same sort of era. It was first published in 1943 and we must have bought it from a charity shop or somewhere to add to our gardening books collection.
Reading it is very enlightening. I found out that there was an apple with our name to it, the aptly named Crawley Beauty. It must be fashioned after me as it is ....'very fine with a very late season. Blooms very late (how true) , missing all the frosts, and should be put with another late-flowering variety (this has come to pass!) Makes a good size tree and fruit is medium to large and of good shape (I couldn't possibly comment....) Colour is green flushed and striped with red (well., given my time of life that's no wonder!)' Luckily I'm not much afflicted with scab and my season is Christmas to March and later so I've yet to peak for this year but am sure I will get there eventually!!
I'm very taken with the names of the apple varieties. I'm wondering how they came about and whether some of them are still around. My imagination went to town with some of them and I started to visualise the people they were named after... there was the upstanding Rev. W Wilks ; the doughty Arthur Turner and his pals, Charles Ross, James Grieve and George Neal ; the haughty Lady Sudeley and the aristocratic Lord Lambourne; the flirtatious Belle de Boskoop and her friend D'Arcy Spice, described as a 'little tart....'
I'm most enamoured with that sweet young man about town the Rt. Hon Allington Pippin. Word is he was set upon and beaten to a pulp by some lads who were under the influence of too much cider.... I know....perhaps I need to get out more.....

6 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

What a fscinating post Lesley - had to smile at your comments re the Crawley apple and am particularly glad that you are not prone to scab!! Have a good week. Sun is shining here hope you have the same?

Jane

Jill said...

How wondeful to be a late flowering beauty! Our house was built in the '30s on the site of an orchard and we have an ancient Newton Wonder - although I don't think it is THAT ancient. I'm sure my father planted a James Grieve and Laxtons in our new 1950s garden - beautifully espalliered until he lost interest - I wonder if they are still going

menopausalmusing said...

A delightful, playful post Lesley...... loving the apple variety names!

Chrissie said...

Love the battered book cover, of course. You've made me laugh out loud with your Crawley apple comparison and Miss D'Arcy Spice!! Like Jill's,our house was built on an old orchard and we have quite a few (badly tended) fruit trees at the end of the garden.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Oh you do make me smile Lesley! A very enlightening post on the apple-name front - of which I am very taken with Belle de Boskoop!

Lovely little book - wish I could find such treasures.

Jeanne
x

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

I have learned a few things about apple's names! The book looks lovely and old!
Hope you enjoying autumn.
Lucy xxxxx