This is not so much of a giveaway, more of a 'pay it forward' type of thing I suppose but a project I've been playing about with this week is definitely the product of a 'giveaway'. The 'giveaway' in question is a paint chart from Farrow and Ball, a left over from some recent decorating we have done.
It struck me how good a quality the paper was and that it was evenly and crisply folded - the great base for an accordion book and no measuring and cutting to do! First thing I did was collage some old book pages onto the front and back. They came from an old gardening encyclopaedia which had lots of fern pictures so I made sure they were postioned on the mountain folds.
Once the collaging was done I took some bracken from the garden - there is a surfeit of it after all - and made up some green printing ink which I then rollered onto the fronds before pressing them on the pages. I only did a small amount of type stamping on it before adding some hard covers and making a slip case to hold it together. The extra paper gave the paint chart a bit of 'spring' and it works better within some sort of enclosure. The slip cover was a discarded monoprint using the bracken. I painted acrylic wax onto the print but because I had used water based printing ink originally it all smeared! Not to be daunted I covered my tracks with some more bracken prints using a gold stamp pad. The print was a trifle short in length but I am not bothered. It performs the function I need it to do!
Thanks everyone who e mailed or left a comment. I put the names in a bag this morning and my assistant (aka my better half) pulled Dan's name from it. There's obviously a keen interest in making books and lettering out there and I'm sorry that I've only got the one magazine. I shall look forward to seeing what creations it might inspire Dan to produce!
15 comments:
I'll give the magazine a home if no one else wants it. I first learnt calligraphy at secondary school, my brother calls it my posh writing.
I would love a chance to win the magazine. My copy of Shareen La Plantz's book is very well thumbed. I love what you've done witht the paint chart - so effective.
I love what you've done to that Farrow and Ball paint chart - brilliant! The magazine looks interesting but as I have already been the recipient of one of your magazines I'll leave that for someone else.
Jane x
Much as I would love the chance to win, I have already been the recipient of loveliness from you several times over, so shall sit this one out but do wish to add my admiration for your work with the paint chart..... absolutely lovely.
What a clever idea and so beautifully decorated Lesley. Like others, I have been the very fortunate recipient of your generosity already, so I too will sit this one out.
Your fern book is fantastic! I like to see what you do and learn many interesting new things to do from your blog!
Lucy xxxx
Hi Lesley - I love what you have done with that Farrow & Ball paint chart! How do you think up these things? I have one here with the paint chip I thought I wanted pulled off, so I guess I should think of a better use for it than stuck in a drawer. (Our budget doesn't stretch to Farrow and Ball emulsion anyway!)
I would love to have a look at your extra copy of Bound & Lettered.
If you don't have a copy already, I have the summer 2010 copy of The Edge, which is the magazine of the Calligraphy & Lettering Arts Society. I think you'd really enjoy looking through it. If you'd like it, I'm more than happy to send it to you.
Dan
-x-
Lesley,
The ferns' book is precious! A perfect example of a recycled and yet brand new life! Very-very-VERY well done!
I love your fern book, it's such a great idea to use the paint chart in that way - and you've made it a real work of art, it's beautiful. The magazine looks fascinating too! (I've only just found your blog but I'll be coming back soon.)
Helen x
Hi Lesley, just popped by again to say you can find a copy of The Winter Hare on Amazon.
Dan
-x-
I love what you have done to the F&B paint chart - you are SO inventive Lesley.
Jeanne
x
Hi, I just found your blog. Love it, that you are into natureprinting! Me too. Your Cyanotypes and your fernbook are awesome!
My blog is at an in-between stage, so I will not leave a link, but as I haven't found any calligraphy magazines here in Germany, I would be a happy reciever.
Lesley, sorry for the lateness with my reply to your query on my last post. Yes the plant is a sedum but I have no idea what variety I'm afraid! They have been in the garden for years. I love them - they go deeper and darker as autum progresses.
Jeanne
x
PS No rain here today - yay!
Well blow me down!! I missed this post altogether. Very happy someone who has more time for calligraphy than me has 'won' your giveaway, but I love your concertina book - how ingenious of you! I don't know if this post appeared in my 'Reading List' or I just had a senior moment, but I must do a 'manual' test of friends blogs to make sure ai don't miss anything.
Jill
Hi Lesley,
Love the graphic quality of the ferns and type together on the paint chart. Love the colors! Thanks for posting this....Gloria
Post a Comment