Friday, 15 October 2010

Jones - her book

The contemporary weaving exhibition I saw at the National Woollen Museum the other day was called Warp+Weft, the museum being just one of a three site venue for the event. More interestingly, for me, was the other work I went specifically to see. This was the response, in drawing and in stitch, by Julia Griffiths Jones to the museum, its artefacts and its production. I first saw Julia's mild steel work a few years and I love the strong graphic quality of her work. One of the outcomes of the work at the museum is a digitally printed book of her drawings on wool. It sent my mind thinking yet again about marrying printmaking and felt or woven textiles. Something to revisit perhaps? Anyway I'll let the artist tell you all about it herself and if you're intrigued to see more visit her website where there is also another video showing the book in all its detail.

7 comments:

Chrissie said...

Yes, please revisit printmaking and felt.
(And do feel free to do anything you like with my photos. The mug is a hand-painted Poole Pottery one, which I got in a junk shop and love to bits.)

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

That was so interesting! Most of our local mills have closed now but there is still one nearby that does all sorts of interesting things for military uniforms. I have visited it with my mum.
Lucy xxxxx

Marigold Jam said...

Not doing too well tonight as my comments keep disappearing into the ether will try again.

Having problems getting the video to run smoothly too but will come back to this - have visited the website though. Interesting. I have long harboured ideas of incorporating images with fabric so will be interested to see how you get on with your printmaking on felt etc.

Jane

menopausalmusing said...

Thanks for this, I am learning so much from your blog! (Went to see Metropolis last night! Wow!)
x

Jill said...

An inspirational piece once again - thanks for the introduction Lesley.
I think you should explore the print/felt/fabric route and share more of YOUR work with us.
What is wonderful about your posts is they show that the world is so full of possibilities that there is never any need to worry about the question "what shall I do?", but rather "what shall I do next?"

Patricia G said...

Very interesting, thank you for the link to this work. I love the combination of simple textiles, hand stitches and drawn images of hand tools, garments etc.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Thank you Lesley for your caring and thoughtful comment at mine and I just want to reciprocate those sentiments back to you on the loss of your dear mum. I remember your post very well. The dark days can come upon us at any time but particularly on anniversaries and birthdays. I hope your blog enthusiasm returns as has mine in the past few days. For me the de-cluttering continues and has been so therapeutic!

I look forward to your return and your wonderful posts, take as much time as you need dear friend.

Jeanne
xx