Monday, 11 October 2010

Off to the Metropolis...

We went to see this last night. It was originally made in 1927 and is hailed as a classic of silent cinema. Two years ago a longer version of the original film was found in a studio in Buenos Aires and it has been digitally remastered and re-released. It's doing the rounds in the UK at the moment accompanied by its original orchestral score. It has a few creaky moments in it - the movements are very staged and the eye make up is very exaggerated - and that's only the men! The female characters wear very risque dress - or undress - so it must have been made before too much censorship came about but it is pretty wonderful to see. At the end of it, the audience, to a man, applauded spontaneously. I've never experienced that before. If you had told me once that I'd sit for well over two and a half hours watching a silent science fiction film I'd never have believed you. The things we do for love eh?

4 comments:

Jill said...

I watched Metropolis on the TV (years ago) and was impressed then, so on the big screen, restored, it must be magnificent. I rather love the over dramatic gestures and make-up - it is on the verge of dance. It compliments the rather stark symmetry of the art deco sets. Loved the trailer too.
Jill

(had to interupt this comment to say the ID code word I had to type in was 'rerun'. These random letters sometimes have an uncanny link to the post)

Marigold Jam said...

Indeed! I don't think I COULD sit for 2 and a half hours to watch anything least of all science fiction but this does look rather special!

Jane

menopausalmusing said...

Lesley, where did you watch this, just out of interest. Was it at a specialist cinema? I have a passion for silent movies, my favourite star being Lillian Gish and favourite of her movies, "Broken Blossoms"........ I have watched it in small bites on Youtube........

Patricia G said...

It looks great! Like a moving graphic novel. I like the set design and styling of that era.